Electrician Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind/brands are you guys using (everyone is using them now right;)). Was hoping to get a decent setup both for work and occasional wrenching at home. Don't need anything insulated, we never work hot:whistling2:

·
Registered
714 Posts
wiha

·
Registered
714 Posts

·
Electrical Contractor
9,325 Posts
How much are you going to use it? If only occasionally, just get a Craftsmen or something similar. If you're using it for torqueing lugs, either get an in/lbs. or get a ft/lbs. and do the math.

·
Gold Member
312 Posts
What kind/brands are you guys using (everyone is using them now right;)). Was hoping to get a decent setup both for work and occasional wrenching at home. Don't need anything insulated, we never work hot:whistling2:
Just bought the Wera 3-set, does(iirc) 3 to 55 "lbs across the three drivers. Spendy, but really nice.

·
antisocial group ******
773 Posts
I just use a regular driver and twist until the plastic cracks the first time.

·
Proud Navy Veteran
1,429 Posts
For my inch-lb driver I use a Klien but all of my other torque drivers are Snap on.

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
13,987 Posts
Does anyone remember the formula needed when an extension is used on a torque wrench?
It's been years since I've used it..

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
13,987 Posts
Ontariojer said:
If you mean socket extension-there is no formula, since there is no difference. If you mean handle extension-hit the gym;)
No not the handle... There is one, we learned it for building ordnance and repairing my 5" gun mount. We even had resistors with a zero tolerance.

QUOTE="maddhatter"] [ Torque x Length of Torque Wrench ] / [ Extension Length + Length of Torque Wrench ][/QUOTE]

Thanks

·
Gold Member
312 Posts
No not the handle... There is one, we learned it for building ordnance and repairing my 5" gun mount. We even had resistors with a zero tolerance.

QUOTE="maddhatter"] [ Torque x Length of Torque Wrench ] / [ Extension Length + Length of Torque Wrench ]
Thanks[/QUOTE]

Ok, so I think this is the formula for multiplying your torque for applications outside your drivers range using extensions on the socket, but in-line with the handle,yes?

I was talking about an extension in-line with the socket. No formula.

THIS is why a picture is worth 1k words!:laughing:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts