Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
Commercial Service Electrician
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looked at a friend of a friend's house yesterday. He was told his panel needs to be replaced by the plumber. The house is pretty old and I assume this panel used to be inside a sunroom or something back when it was installed. There's no problems currently with the panel other than it's outside, he will be doing a major remodel in this year or next.
Has anyone ever seen a panel like this with a box built around and a door for access to keep it out of the weather?
And if you could accomplish this do you think it would be legal?
The home is Adobe and in Phoenix.
This is a sub panel off a 400A service
Brown Wood Rectangle Tints and shades Font
Door Fixture Wood Electrical wiring Electricity

·
Hackenschmidt
12,630 Posts
There was a similar discussion recently, to be really compliant you'd have to build a little shed around it to satisfy the working space clearance requirements. Slapping a little cabinet around it might prevent further deterioration until it's replaced with something suitably rated next year, but that wouldn't be a job for me.

·
Registered
Commercial Service Electrician
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There was a similar discussion recently, to be really compliant you'd have to build a little shed around it to satisfy the working space clearance requirements. Slapping a little cabinet around it might prevent further deterioration until it's replaced with something suitably rated next year, but that wouldn't be a job for me.
The owner would have to build something, I'm no carpenter.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
33,826 Posts
My take. If you build a cover with a piano hinge on one side of it and put a cabinet door knob on the outside of it, you now have an "indoors" panel by every definition of the NEC.. However it still won't meet code cause now your trim for the door on the bottom of the panel interferes with the clearance below the panel , even if it is only 3/4 " wood framing.
I suppose if you left out the bottom trim you can meet code again. In any case, the panel must be flush to the surface , or project out from the surface, and having a hinged door in front sorta beats into that deal as well.

Having said all that, I have performed the same for several carport locations where there is at least a roof over the area that extends way over the 45 degree angle from the edge of the carport, meaning , rain is not likely to beat down on the place where the panels were located. I used nema 1 load centers. Twenty years later they don't look like that piece of garbage photo presented above. That's an abomination.

·
Senile Member
33,826 Posts
Just look at the rust on that panel............

·
Magic Smoke Remover
1,156 Posts
The buss is the same, and it’s not air tight when it’s 3R. As long as it’s not getting rained on, I don’t see why you can’t use a panel like this if it’s protected from rain…

·
Registered
I am 100 % retired now. Enjoying life :)
2,191 Posts
If your friend is going to do a major remo he might start by replacing the panel and then move on to phase 2. It's a sub panel so it should be an easy job for an electrician and not involve the power company. I can't really see it costing that much.

·
Senile Member
33,826 Posts
3r is okay inside but.....why?
Dog houses etc don't make something inside
By that definition, neither would a poolside structure with a changing room and a bar and the like. There is no prohibition to installing panels in changing rooms as long as they are not bathrooms.

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
3,918 Posts
Looked at a friend of a friend's house yesterday. He was told his panel needs to be replaced by the plumber.
Why would his panel need to be replaced by a plumber. 🤠. As said do the proper panel upgrade, remember this is a friend of a friend. Don't ever do anything that is borderline as it could effect your business because the FOF did not like it or gets called out on it later and says " But TEO said it wasOK"

·
Registered
C-10 Electrical Contractor
388 Posts
My point is 1r doesn't go outside at all
Inspector is definitive on "inside or outside"
When in doubt default to 3r
14 different biz licenses with many AHJ on different code cycle & interpretations.
I pick which hills to die on.
Excellent work & good relationships with building dept simply my life.
Bigger fish to fry than arguing over the little stuff.

"The lowest bidder has the highest cost"
"Good enough isnt"

1 - 20 of 71 Posts