Electrician Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
Commercial Service Electrician
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looked at a friend of a friend's house yesterday. He was told his panel needs to be replaced by the plumber. The house is pretty old and I assume this panel used to be inside a sunroom or something back when it was installed. There's no problems currently with the panel other than it's outside, he will be doing a major remodel in this year or next.
Has anyone ever seen a panel like this with a box built around and a door for access to keep it out of the weather?
And if you could accomplish this do you think it would be legal?
The home is Adobe and in Phoenix.
This is a sub panel off a 400A service
Brown Wood Rectangle Tints and shades Font
Door Fixture Wood Electrical wiring Electricity

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There was a similar discussion recently, to be really compliant you'd have to build a little shed around it to satisfy the working space clearance requirements. Slapping a little cabinet around it might prevent further deterioration until it's replaced with something suitably rated next year, but that wouldn't be a job for me.
The owner would have to build something, I'm no carpenter.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Just to be clear I'm not doing any work on this house.
Just doing a friend a favor and looking at this and giving my opinion, I work for a commercial electrical contractor.
The plumbing contractor also does electrical and wants $5000.00 to replace this.
I think that's a little high, for what it would take to replace.
But don't know the going rate for residential.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
The utility co. Wouldn't need to be involved. The sevice comes into a large enclosure that has the meter and 2 pull-outs not 100% sure but I believe one is for the 200A main panel and the other for this one. I'm pretty sure there's a 3rd panel but did not see it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts