Electrician Talk banner
61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
I am 100 % retired now. Enjoying life :)
2,223 Posts
The OP said it was a Sub feed from a 400 amp main panel. Even if it is a split bus that doesn't mean it's not feed from a breaker in the main service and could just be shut off without needing to get the utility company involved. We need more info from the OP to actually know. It looks like something that was bootlegged in anyways.

·
Premium Member
Commercial Service Electrician
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
The utility co. Wouldn't need to be involved. The sevice comes into a large enclosure that has the meter and 2 pull-outs not 100% sure but I believe one is for the 200A main panel and the other for this one. I'm pretty sure there's a 3rd panel but did not see it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've seen more than one house where the panel was originally installed under the kitchen sink but one in particular, on a slab, panel under the sink, when the homeowner remodeled he simply moved the panel to the outside of the house and built a shed over it. Needless to say the shed had no floor and it was a damp location. But additionally, the roof leaked and water ran through the panel and rotted it out. The panel was not 3R, not weatherproof, not rated for an outdoor location. And the shed - essentially more of an outdoor "closet" - violated both illumination and the minimum clearance requirements. So, my opinion, definitely not legal (even if in a carport). I did a service change and relocated the panel; the homeowner removed the shed when he resided. In fact he changed that entire outside wall because of termite damage. .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Looked at a friend of a friend's house yesterday. He was told his panel needs to be replaced by the plumber. The house is pretty old and I assume this panel used to be inside a sunroom or something back when it was installed. There's no problems currently with the panel other than it's outside, he will be doing a major remodel in this year or next.
Has anyone ever seen a panel like this with a box built around and a door for access to keep it out of the weather?
And if you could accomplish this do you think it would be legal?
The home is Adobe and in Phoenix.
This is a sub panel off a 400A service View attachment 161500 View attachment 161501
My issue is I need to replace a miter combination panel with a sub panel
I can’t find a recessed sub panel to replace the recessed main panel
Is there a way to recess a surface mount panel or do I have to have pipes hanging outside the wall
Is there aclean way to fix this issue

·
Magic Smoke Remover
1,481 Posts
My issue is I need to replace a miter combination panel with a sub panel
I can’t find a recessed sub panel to replace the recessed main panel
Is there a way to recess a surface mount panel or do I have to have pipes hanging outside the wall
Is there aclean way to fix this issue
why could you not just make holes in the top of an exterior panel and recess it into the wall? You just need about an inch sticking out for most of them.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.