Electrician Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm an Industrial Electrician with more than 10 years of experience in Brazil. I'm looking for a job in Canada that doesn't require the Red Seal ticket immediately. I say that because I've been approved by the ITA BC to take the exam as a challenger, but unfortunately the Canadian Consulate in Brazil has refused me the Visitor Visa. If I got the Visa I would go to Canada and take the exam. I am really confident about the exam because I have studied really hard. But this misfortune has prevented me from taking the exam and ultimately getting the 442A certificate.

I know that it is possible to work in that trade without having the Red Seal endorsement, but it is so hard to find a job that does not require it.

Once I get the job I will take the exam ASAP.

It follows my LinkedIn for more information: (linkedin address)/in/williansousabr

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Good Luck with your search. I think it is unlikely that anyone will hire you without the documentation because it is not even required here in Ontario although most companies want it for liability purposes.

If you were already a resident, then it might be easier, but no ticket and not a resident... that is a tough one.

Cheers
John

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
Can you immigrate to Canada permanently?

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
I would think it would be tough to get a LMIA when there are so many electricians out of work in Alberta (heavy industrial focus).

You also mention ITA in BC but use an Ontario trade designation (442A)...

Cheers
John

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I understand. About the designation (442A) I say that because it's more easy than say NOC 7242, which is the federal classification.

Thank you for your post.

Cheers
Willian

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Perfect. Our system can be a bit confusing at times, so I did not know if you were aware that each province has different regulations for Industrial Electricians.

That is why I mentioned in my previous post, "in Ontario", because technically you don't even need a 442A to work in a plant, but in other provinces you might. So your reference to the ITA in BC was making me think you might not be aware of our system.

Having said that, even in Ontario, any reputable place is going to want the 442A so it is good to get it.

Cheers
John

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for your explanation about this subject. It really might be confusing sometimes.

I'd like to ask you another question: If I already had the Red Seal endorsement as an Industrial Electrician, would it be more favorable for me to get a LMIA?

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
It is up to the company to complete the LMIA and not the employee. The company, from what I understand, has to prove that there is a shortage of the skilled labour, then they can start the process on getting you a work visa. I am not sure if they have to go down any kind of list (first come first served) or if they can select a specific individual; I have never been involved in that. I would expect however that if there was a list and red seal 442a was a requirement for the LMIA, they would skip over anybody that did not have that particular credential. Since it is a voluntary credential I am not sure how much "value" it really holds in this situation when a company is trying to get a LMIA...

Cheers
John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts