Electrician Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I am currently a 1st year residential electrical apprentice in NSW, Australia and was looking towards changing over to Industrial sector as i do not believe that residential is what i want to follow my career in. Although i enjoy it very much and still am to this day, i do not enjoy the type of work and have been suggested by a friend who has been a long time sparky in many different sectors, including Industrial. He says that i would exceed in Industrial far better than Residential as i am quite bright and used to work in IT (Programmer). Although i wouldn't mind working in the mines, ($$$ ;) ), i am not willing to move away. Does anyone have any advice on this matter? is the Industrial sector of electrical interesting/fun? (i do realise that it can be very personal)
Thanks heaps, Aize

·
RIP 1959-2015
10,750 Posts
Hi there,
I am currently a 1st year residential electrical apprentice in NSW, Australia and was looking towards changing over to Industrial sector as i do not believe that residential is what i want to follow my career in. Although i enjoy it very much and still am to this day, i do not enjoy the type of work and have been suggested by a friend who has been a long time sparky in many different sectors, including Industrial. He says that i would exceed in Industrial far better than Residential as i am quite bright and used to work in IT (Programmer). Although i wouldn't mind working in the mines, ($$$ ;) ), i am not willing to move away. Does anyone have any advice on this matter? is the Industrial sector of electrical interesting/fun? (i do realise that it can be very personal)
Thanks heaps, Aize
Hello Aize, Welcome aboard :thumbsup:

Switch up, you will be fine.

·
Registered
577 Posts
When production equipment breaks down, you will be "tha MAN". Industrial electricians who can get equipment up and running are valuable and in short supply. You will be working in noisy, dirty, dangerous environments one day and in super clean food processing rooms the next day. Interesting stuff to work on and can be challenging. Get up to speed on PLC systems ASAP. Not a job for everybody but after you get going you can specialize in certain industries like printing, metal working or food processing.

No more twin and earth for you...do it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When production equipment breaks down, you will be "tha MAN". Industrial electricians who can get equipment up and running are valuable and in short supply. You will be working in noisy, dirty, dangerous environments one day and in super clean food processing rooms the next day. Interesting stuff to work on and can be challenging. Get up to speed on PLC systems ASAP. Not a job for everybody but after you get going you can specialize in certain industries like printing, metal working or food processing.

No more twin and earth for you...do it.
Thanks Fault Current, this description sounds exactly what i'm looking for. Noisey, dangerous and/or dirty emvironments do not put me off at all so i think i would suit this. Do you have any advice on how to break through or start looking for jobs in this sector? Anyway companies or organisationa worth having a look at?
Massive thanks, Aizey

·
Registered
577 Posts
I think one of the best ways is to scout around for a plant engineer/maintenance position. There is usually one head plant engineer guy in charge with specialty guys like electricians, hydraulics, machinists on staff. You can learn a lot getting on board with the plant engineers at a big facility. You may have to work different shifts but its part of the deal.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Hi there,
Thanks heaps, Aize
welcome to the industrial world.it's a good place to be but you better have an understanding girlfriend or wife if married.

days will come when you will fix time to take her out but it wont happen.there are days you will spend 24 or 48 hrs in the plant and you wont like it. all in the name of breakdowns

Sent from my HUAWEI Y210-0100 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses!!
Would you suggest i go into plant engineering/electrical or more on the manufacturing side such as machine electrical work? Again i know ery similar personal questions but recommendations of other always help.

And yes my girlfriend is very understanding, she is a nurse so is in a similar sort of situation with being on call etc.
Thanks, Aizey

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.