Electrician Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at a customers house today, who recently had a inground pool installed. The pool is a sectional pool, but there are aluminum pieces for the coping and what appears aluminum where the sectional pieces meet.

There is currently no deck around the pool, just dirt. Their are no visible bolts to bond, and while I don't install many inground pool electrical systems, i thought you always had to bond all metal parts of the pool

The city uses the 2008 nec.

When I asked the homeowner if the installers provided for bonding, he called them up and they said that the pool doesnt need to be bonded because it is aluminum, not steel. >_>

Anyone heard of a inground pool not needing to be bonded, sounds scary to me...

·
RIP 1959-2015
10,750 Posts
I was at a customers house today, who recently had a inground pool installed. The pool is a sectional pool, but there are aluminum pieces for the coping and what appears aluminum where the sectional pieces meet.

There is currently no deck around the pool, just dirt. Their are no visible bolts to bond, and while I don't install many inground pool electrical systems, i thought you always had to bond all metal parts of the pool

The city uses the 2008 nec.

When I asked the homeowner if the installers provided for bonding, he called them up and they said that the pool doesnt need to be bonded because it is aluminum, not steel. >_>

Anyone heard of a inground pool not needing to be bonded, sounds scary to me...
:eek::laughing:Well we will have to stop using Aluminum as a conductor:laughing:

That whole thing needs to be bonded together.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Thank you.

My issue is that there doesn't appear to be any lugs to attach a bonding wire to.
You need to tap your own . The screws theyou use to attach rails to forming she'll are tek screws. You need to bond all.piece together and check your code I don't know what's in 2008 but we just adopted 11 and we have to bond the water now to with a special paddle looming device in the return filter. Any questions pm me

1 - 4 of 4 Posts