Electrician Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Licensed Journeyman
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Three little letters. B.u.g.

So they said the Mosquito's were activating the touch screen. I found this hard to believe.

Has anyone had first hand experience with "bugs" activating a touch screen. We have since put a lock on the screen. It deactivates after a couple seconds of inactivity.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Seems highly, highly, highly unlikely for a mosquito to activate any modern capacitive touchscreen. In fact I'm gonna go with impossible.

·
Licensed Journeyman
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What about ,like , ten thousand Mosquitos on steroids. It is Louisiana.

Reactions: rlc3854

·
Registered
351 Posts
What about ,like , ten thousand Mosquitos on steroids. It is Louisiana.
Is take it this is a screen on a piece of equipment? Equipment usually doesn't need a super high quality screen, lower quality screens are usually resistive(plus they can be used with gloves, makes sense for outside equipment), like a gas station credit card machine. I'd say absolutely no way any bug is activating a resistive screen. Capacitive touch screens, like in decent phones and tablets have capacitive touchscreens. Maybe, MAYBE, a mosquito could activate one of the most sensitive high quality capacitive screens, but why would a piece of equipment need this(won't work with most gloves). Some touchscreen computers use cheaper ir sensing touch screens(rare), I'll concede maybe bugs could register a touch input.
That aside, you may be on to something with the mutant Louisiana mosquito's.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
I have had rare instances of insects activating the touchscreens for home theatre systems.

My cat Gizmo used to play with the touchscreen here at home, he actually managed to turn the system on one time. :eek::laughing:

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts

·
Registered
31,848 Posts
Yeah and years ago a generator technician told a customer the reason their paralleling gear was not paralleling randomly was as the Earth rotates dust will fall off the top of the gear and jam relays.

We (myself and and our paralleling expert) just looked at each other and laughed.

We found a loose connection on a relay

·
Premium Member
19,488 Posts
View attachment 32159

Three little letters. B.u.g.

So they said the Mosquito's were activating the touch screen. I found this hard to believe.

Has anyone had first hand experience with "bugs" activating a touch screen. We have since put a lock on the screen. It deactivates after a couple seconds of inactivity.
Screen operating erratically,
Must be some kind of bug.

Bug?
We have lots of Mosquitos here. Must be the Mosquitos.
Hello Mr. electrician, can you come out and do something about out display?
The mosquitoes are effecting it somehow. :rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts