Electrician Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new customer who we "refurbed" a surface grinder for. We added a coolant tank to the machine and upon installation of the switch found that the "ground" for the machine had no grounding properties... Traced it back to the transformer and found that the ground wire to the machine was just connected to a disconnect box which was supposed to be ground through conduit but was not.... Well in my report I noted the issues and spoke with the owner of the company...

He wants me to come in and do a FULL inspection on the wiring in the entire building. So I will be testing all legs of power, amperage at boxes, verify proper wire, verify grounds at each machine, verify proper 110v wiring and ground, pull down any unused conduit and/or boxes....

What I have been looking for is a carbon copy checklist of sorts I can take along with me and make notes of all machines and outlets... I have our normal service report I will use also but I want something "electrical inspection" based that will show what was checked at each point and the results of the test... This is a little bit larger project than I am used to.

I am sure that there is more in depth tests that should/could be run but for now he just wants a basic safety inspection done because as we all know that a 220v machine that isn't properly grounded is dangerous for the components and operator....

My question is does anyone have a source for something like this? I have found many PDF's but nothing that I can order carbon copy booklets or sheets of.

Thanks for any constructive advice or criticism

·
RIP 1959-2015
10,750 Posts
I have a new customer who we "refurbed" a surface grinder for. We added a coolant tank to the machine and upon installation of the switch found that the "ground" for the machine had no grounding properties... Traced it back to the transformer and found that the ground wire to the machine was just connected to a disconnect box which was supposed to be ground through conduit but was not.... Well in my report I noted the issues and spoke with the owner of the company...

He wants me to come in and do a FULL inspection on the wiring in the entire building. So I will be testing all legs of power, amperage at boxes, verify proper wire, verify grounds at each machine, verify proper 110v wiring and ground, pull down any unused conduit and/or boxes....

What I have been looking for is a carbon copy checklist of sorts I can take along with me and make notes of all machines and outlets... I have our normal service report I will use also but I want something "electrical inspection" based that will show what was checked at each point and the results of the test... This is a little bit larger project than I am used to.

I am sure that there is more in depth tests that should/could be run but for now he just wants a basic safety inspection done because as we all know that a 220v machine that isn't properly grounded is dangerous for the components and operator....

My question is does anyone have a source for something like this? I have found many PDF's but nothing that I can order carbon copy booklets or sheets of.

Thanks for any constructive advice or criticism
How about this!.. http://electrical.theiet.org/wiring-regulations/forms/

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I saw that and was thinking of adding that to my final report.... I am working on putting together just an excel sheet that I can record the info from each machine or disconnect. I think with how old the building is and all the different companies/people in and out hooking up and moving machines the buss bar is going to be a disaster along with all the disconnects.

Sent.

·
RIP 1959-2015
10,750 Posts
Thanks! I saw that and was thinking of adding that to my final report.... I am working on putting together just an excel sheet that I can record the info from each machine or disconnect. I think with how old the building is and all the different companies/people in and out hooking up and moving machines the buss bar is going to be a disaster along with all the disconnects.

Sent.
You might want to make use of an ipad , use the note book and take pictures of all the equipment and add them to the notes.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is an app called "punchlists" you can make notes with photos and print up a professional looking list for your customer. I use it all the time for ongoing jobs.

THANKS!! This app looks like it will be GREAT for doing PM posters on machines.... We do TONS of those and as of now I had always been taking pictures with my camera and just taking down notes....

Now to find a tablet with a good camera in it........

·
Premium Member
20,049 Posts
I agree.
You might want to make up a data collection form for each piece of equipment and panel board.
Get that data on a spreadsheet and make columns for voltage, amperage, feeder size and type.
From there, you can make a plan for inspection and testing.
From that data, you can propose what ever remediation might be necessary and classify the remediation from anything from Preventative Maintenance to Urgent/ critical.

·
Electron Pathway Engineer
3,105 Posts
There is an app called "punchlists" you can make notes with photos and print up a professional looking list for your customer. I use it all the time for ongoing jobs.
Who makes the app? There are quite a few.

We currently use 2
One is called Inspections by Mpengo in the app store ( thanks Allwires!)
And one we just started tinkering with called Checklist Inspector by Veam Studios. It was free for a day in AppsGoneFree, but of course the day I forgot to check I missed the $15 (Cdn) savings lol.

·
Premium Member
20,049 Posts
I saw both "Punch-lists" and "construction punch lists" the first one was $10 and had horrible reviews. The second one is $5 and has one good review.
Can you check on which one you use and let us know?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree.
You might want to make up a data collection form for each piece of equipment and panel board.
Get that data on a spreadsheet and make columns for voltage, amperage, feeder size and type.
From there, you can make a plan for inspection and testing.
From that data, you can propose what ever remediation might be necessary and classify the remediation from anything from Preventative Maintenance to Urgent/ critical.
I made a form with machine location, and voltage, amperage, wire size, disconnect/fuse size, whether or not the machine has proper ground then a section to list notes or comments for each machine.

Sent.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The_Modifier said:
Who makes the app? There are quite a few. We currently use 2 One is called Inspections by Mpengo in the app store ( thanks Allwires!) And one we just started tinkering with called Checklist Inspector by Veam Studios. It was free for a day in AppsGoneFree, but of course the day I forgot to check I missed the $15 (Cdn) savings lol.
The one I use is made by Smartools LLC. It is $9.99 but there is a free lite version that doesn't do as much but you can see if it will work for you. It really helps to keep me organized.

·
Electron Pathway Engineer
3,105 Posts
The one I use is made by Smartools LLC. It is $9.99 but there is a free lite version that doesn't do as much but you can see if it will work for you. It really helps to keep me organized.
Do you mean OnSite Punchlist? Sorry having a bugger of a time finding it on the ipad.:laughing:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.