Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was looking at adding some eve lights at the old mans brand new house yesterday, opened his panel and saw this. Can't believe there is an inspector tag on it, I figured either the EC got their hands on some tags or the inspector got paid off since the tag was never even punched or filled out.

Attachments

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
Other than a possible listing issue (line/load marked on the main) whats the issue?

The 200 amp main will still work.

Pete

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Pete m. said:
Other than a possible listing issue (line/load marked on the main) whats the issue? The 200 amp main will still work. Pete
. True , assuming they're using that 200 amp load center as the main service disconnect , going to a MLO interior panel ? Good luck de energizing the bus on that 3R exterior load center though , lol ! Easy fix though !

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
sstlouis03 said:
Was looking at adding some eve lights at the old mans brand new house yesterday, opened his panel and saw this. Can't believe there is an inspector tag on it, I figured either the EC got their hands on some tags or the inspector got paid off since the tag was never even punched or filled out.
. I recently did a bunch of work on a house that I'm fully convinced someone " bought " a final sticker for , lol ! A 200 amp main breaker panel , with # 1 aluminum service entrance cable feeding it , no grounding / bonding to speak of , cables energized and stuffed into duct plenums , half the second floor dead because feeds never made it up there . I did well on this one , lol !

·
Registered
20 Posts
I see only one breaker.
Yes you do. But for all main lug equipment to be approved as "main lug service equipment" it can not have capacity for more than six 2 pole disconnects.

For example GE makes a TLM612 main lug loadcenter and a TLM812 main lug loadcenter. They are identical in every respect except the TLM612 will only accommodate six 2 pole breakers. Only the TLM612 is approved for main lug service equipment. The TLM812 would need a back feed breaker for a main.

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
Was that done by a (supposedly) EC or a home owner?

I would think a 1 month into the trade employee would know better.

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
Other than a possible listing issue (line/load marked on the main) whats the issue?

The 200 amp main will still work.

Pete
Isn't the listing issue "the" issue?

Reactions: 360max

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,543 Posts
violation.

110.27 Guarding of Live Parts.
(A) Live Parts Guarded Against Accidental Contact.
Except as elsewhere required or permitted by this Code,
live parts of electrical equipment operating at 50 volts or
more shall be guarded against accidental contact by approved
enclosures or by any of the following means:
(1) By location in a room, vault, or similar enclosure that is
accessible only to qualified persons.
(2) By suitable permanent, substantial partitions or screens
arranged so that only qualified persons have access to
the space within reach of the live parts
. Any openings
in such partitions or screens shall be sized and located
so that persons are not likely to come into accidental
contact with the live parts or to bring conducting objects
into contact with them.
there is no violation of the six disconnect rule, because there aren't 7 disconnects installed.

I don't know about the listing issue as to the breaker - I would be interested in someone explaining that ?

they should have just installed it right or put a fused knife switch and been done with it (properly)

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
You have 45 trucks on the road and didn't wire your own dads house?

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's an easy fix, I'll going to do it this weekend. Just seems like the inspectors are really laxed lately. The a/c install was real shotty to. They are just throwing them up as fast as possible with the cheapest labour possible.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.