Electrician Talk banner

Inspector Fail

5K views 33 replies 17 participants last post by  Local 103 
#1 ·
Was looking at adding some eve lights at the old mans brand new house yesterday, opened his panel and saw this. Can't believe there is an inspector tag on it, I figured either the EC got their hands on some tags or the inspector got paid off since the tag was never even punched or filled out.

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
Pete m. said:
Other than a possible listing issue (line/load marked on the main) whats the issue? The 200 amp main will still work. Pete
. True , assuming they're using that 200 amp load center as the main service disconnect , going to a MLO interior panel ? Good luck de energizing the bus on that 3R exterior load center though , lol ! Easy fix though !

#9 ·
. I recently did a bunch of work on a house that I'm fully convinced someone " bought " a final sticker for , lol ! A 200 amp main breaker panel , with # 1 aluminum service entrance cable feeding it , no grounding / bonding to speak of , cables energized and stuffed into duct plenums , half the second floor dead because feeds never made it up there . I did well on this one , lol !

#13 ·
Was that done by a (supposedly) EC or a home owner?

I would think a 1 month into the trade employee would know better.

#15 ·
violation.

110.27 Guarding of Live Parts.
(A) Live Parts Guarded Against Accidental Contact.
Except as elsewhere required or permitted by this Code,
live parts of electrical equipment operating at 50 volts or
more shall be guarded against accidental contact by approved
enclosures or by any of the following means:
(1) By location in a room, vault, or similar enclosure that is
accessible only to qualified persons.
(2) By suitable permanent, substantial partitions or screens
arranged so that only qualified persons have access to
the space within reach of the live parts
. Any openings
in such partitions or screens shall be sized and located
so that persons are not likely to come into accidental
contact with the live parts or to bring conducting objects
into contact with them.
there is no violation of the six disconnect rule, because there aren't 7 disconnects installed.

I don't know about the listing issue as to the breaker - I would be interested in someone explaining that ?

they should have just installed it right or put a fused knife switch and been done with it (properly)

#24 ·
I know of more than 1 guy who has had a house built and didn't even wire his own house. I probably wouldn't either. I wouldn't have the time or desire to work for my employer all day and then spend my nights and weekends wiring my own house. It would be easier and better/faster to just have the builder use his regular electrician so they wouldn't be holding up the schedule waiting on me to wire it.

I'm not a residential electrician. Let someone who does it everyday do it.

#29 ·
It's an easy fix, I'll going to do it this weekend. Just seems like the inspectors are really laxed lately. The a/c install was real shotty to. They are just throwing them up as fast as possible with the cheapest labour possible.
You ain't from 'round here is you boy?

And you sure as hell ain't from west Texas.

#22 ·
sstlouis03 said:
It's an easy fix, I'll going to do it this weekend. Just seems like the inspectors are really laxed lately. The a/c install was real shotty to. They are just throwing them up as fast as possible with the cheapest labour possible.
But you don't do resi

Reactions: Cow
#26 ·
The average home builder doesn't want you to wire your own house. The credit he will give back to you wouldn't make financial sense. If you want to wire your own house to ensure it's done right, that's a different thing. Otherwise, just inspect the other guy's work and bitch if it's not up to your standards.

#27 ·
While I see the points made as to why to use the builder's electrician, it doesn't work for me form the standpoint of additional work (and the expectation of getting hosed).

extra infrastructure and add-ons over the base model are going to be hits to your pocket. If the builder wants to sell you a home (in this market) you should be able to bend him over backwards, not the other way around. You could agree to a timetable that works for you, hire a buddy and wire it up the way you want.

it it's already an upscale home this may not apply.

but my house is damn well gonna have a bunch of things that the average tract home isn't wired for, and why have to do it after the fact.

just my 02

#28 ·
wildleg said:
While I see the points made as to why to use the builder's electrician, it doesn't work for me form the standpoint of additional work (and the expectation of getting hosed). extra infrastructure and add-ons over the base model are going to be hits to your pocket. If the builder wants to sell you a home (in this market) you should be able to bend him over backwards, not the other way around. You could agree to a timetable that works for you, hire a buddy and wire it up the way you want. it it's already an upscale home this may not apply. but my house is damn well gonna have a bunch of things that the average tract home isn't wired for, and why have to do it after the fact. just my 02
I agree with what your saying but the market is alittle different here. My home value has gone up 29k in 2 years, it's ridiculous. The only people getting bent over around here are the buyers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.