Electrician Talk banner

Inspector says garage outlets need to be 18" due to gas heater

5K views 41 replies 22 participants last post by  Buck Parrish Electric 
#1 ·
I know a gas water heater is suppose to be 18 inches off the floor due to gas.
I've never heard of outlets needing to be 18 inches above the floor. Have any of you heard of this?

#7 ·
As far as the NEC goes I don't think it is addressed anywhere. I think the mechanical code requires sources of ignition to be above 18". Sources of ignition would be a pilot light, ignitor, or appliance. Some consider the receptacle as a source of ignition but I'm not sure how the code is actually worded.

#9 ·
I know a gas water heater is suppose to be 18 inches off the floor due to gas.
I've never heard of outlets needing to be 18 inches above the floor. Have any of you heard of this?
Is this a dwelling unit?
There is no height requirement for receptacles in dwelling unit garages.
If your in a commercial auto repair shop then that is a different story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 ·
I know it's in the code they shall not be more than 66" above the floor but I've always taken them as an ignition source and put them at 48".

#23 ·
It has nothing to do with receptacle height in relationship to water heaters.

A gas water heater in a garage needs to be 18" off the floor to the fire box in case gasoline fumes (heavier than air / and hang about 12" off the floor) are present to avoid ignition.

#15 ·
Even if it's not a requirement for residential garages it should be. I think it's a valid concern. Consider something like a faulty plug in power supply that catches fire at 12" off the floor and gasses that might collect low on the floor.
As for water heaters that's the plumbers concern. I always hated having to hoist water heaters up on a platform when replacing them.
In the US it's 18 inches off of the ground, as per the NFPA and the National Fuel Gas Code.

#18 ·
Even if it's not a requirement for residential garages it should be. I think it's a valid concern. Consider something like a faulty plug in power supply that catches fire at 12" off the floor and gasses that might collect low on the floor.
As for water heaters that's the plumbers concern. I always hated having to hoist water heaters up on a platform when replacing them.
In the US it's 18 inches off of the ground, as per the NFPA and the National Fuel Gas Code.
Youre supposed to fill it with water AFTER you get it up there. 🤣

#19 ·
Commercial repair garages
20-100 Scope (see Appendix B)
Rules 20-102 to 20-112 apply to commercial garages where vehicles powered by gasoline, propane, or other
flammable fuels are serviced or repaired.
20-102 Hazardous areas
(1) For each floor at or above grade, the entire area up to a level 50 mm above the floor shall be considered a
Class I, Zone 2 location except that adjacent areas shall not be classified as hazardous locations, provided
that they are
(a) elevated from a service and repair area by at least 50 mm; or
(b) separated from a service and repair area by tight-fitting barriers such as curbs, ramps, or partitions at
least 50 mm high.
(2) For each floor below grade, the entire area up to a level 50 mm above the bottom of outside doors or other
openings that are at, or above, grade level shall be considered a Class I, Zone 2 location except that, where
adequate ventilation is provided, the hazardous location shall extend up to a level of only 50 mm above
each such floor.
(3) Any pit or depression below floor level shall be considered a Class I, Zone 2 location that extends up to
50 mm above the floor level.

That's all we've got in the CEC

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

#21 ·
Commercial repair garages
20-100 Scope (see Appendix B)
Rules 20-102 to 20-112 apply to commercial garages where vehicles powered by gasoline, propane, or other
flammable fuels are serviced or repaired.
20-102 Hazardous areas
(1) For each floor at or above grade, the entire area up to a level 50 mm above the floor shall be considered a
Class I, Zone 2 location except that adjacent areas shall not be classified as hazardous locations, provided
that they are
(a) elevated from a service and repair area by at least 50 mm; or
(b) separated from a service and repair area by tight-fitting barriers such as curbs, ramps, or partitions at
least 50 mm high.
(2) For each floor below grade, the entire area up to a level 50 mm above the bottom of outside doors or other
openings that are at, or above, grade level shall be considered a Class I, Zone 2 location except that, where
adequate ventilation is provided, the hazardous location shall extend up to a level of only 50 mm above
each such floor.
(3) Any pit or depression below floor level shall be considered a Class I, Zone 2 location that extends up to
50 mm above the floor level.

That's all we've got in the CEC

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
I think the rationale is that in a commercial repair garage, gasoline vapors would be far more common than in a residential setting. A residential garage is considered a "parking" garage, not a repair garage.

Reactions: eddy current
#37 ·
I've had an inspector tell me that a residential garage needs to follow the commercial service garage rules. I didn't agree with that, but what can you do? I generally put garage outlets at least 24" AFF, and usually higher anyway. It certainly makes them more convenient to use and keeps them cleaner too.

#38 ·
Even if it's not a code requirement I normally place them at counter top height for 2 reasons.
1. Some people install work benches in their garages and it nice to have the receptacles at that height so it is above the bench.
2. Sprinkler timers are usually at about that height and it just seems like a more logical height.
If a customer wanted it at 12" then they should have more say in where it's placed and the AHJ should keep their opinions to themselves.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.