Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wiring new homes for 37 years. This is the first time an inspector told me that all Romex in an attic must be perpendicular or parallel to the framing members. None of it can run on an angle. These are stick framed roofs with an access panel in one closet ceiling. Of course we don't run wire near the access panel.
I asked for a NEC reference and all he said was "it's in the code book"
What's your opinion?

·
Registered
Electrician
4,340 Posts
I've been wiring new homes for 37 years. This is the first time an inspector told me that all Romex in an attic must be perpendicular or parallel to the framing members. None of it can run on an angle. These are stick framed roofs with an access panel in one closet ceiling. Of course we don't run wire near the access panel.
What's your opinion?
I would then say "SHOW ME"!

·
Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
890 Posts
Maybe 110.12? Neat and workmanlike manner? Can we still say "workmanlike" or do we have to say, " workpersonlike" manner. It is better for the perpendicular / parallel idea. So many times attic floors are installed for storage or central AC is added and everything is then installed on top of the cables.

·
Electrical Contractor
Owner
4,432 Posts
Does your NEC require wires in the attic to be protected from being stepped on?
ie: running boards beside the cables?

Running at angles look sloppy and really doesnt save that much money..

Reactions: RRF and Max C.

·
Hackenschmidt
10,893 Posts
There's nothing that states the cables must be parallel or perpendicular to framing. I personally like to keep things as square and as out of the way as possible but if they've opted for the lowest possible price they didn't buy that.

Using the neat-and-workmanlike requirement would be a blatant overreach by the inspector, insisting on right angles would be past neat and workmanlike into OCD. All work is supposed to be neat and workmanlike. Does that mean there's a requirement to make a frame for MC whips into light fixtures so you can lash them down so they are plumb and square to the grid? Do the cable ties all have to wrap in the same direction? 😆

In this case running boards would be required within 6' of the access panel. NEC article 334 is NM cable, and it references the rules in article 320, armored cable.

334.23 In Accessible Attics. The installation of cable in accessible attics or roof spaces shall also comply with 320.23.
320.23 In Accessible Attics. Type AC cables in accessible attics or roof spaces shall be installed as specified in 320.23(A) and (B).

(A) Where Run Across the Top of Floor Joists. Where run across the top of floor joists, or within 2.1 m (7 ft) of floor or floor joists across the face of rafters or studding, in attics and roof spaces that are accessible, the cable shall be protected by substantial guard strips that are at least as high as the cable. Where this space is not accessible by permanent stairs or ladders, protection shall only be required within 1.8 m (6 ft) of the nearest edge of the scuttle hole or attic entrance.

·
Electrical Contractor
Owner
4,432 Posts
neat-and-workmanlike requirement

We've all seen crappy work and wondered how the electrician got away with it .
only once have I heard of a contractor failing because of poor workmanship ( I've seen some of his work and he is a disgrace to the trade)

Sloppy workmanship usually has the inspector checking out everything.

The CEC requirement is 1 meter above the bottom cord of the truss/rafter

Reactions: Max C.

·
Petulant Moderator
Estwing magic
24,851 Posts
I got snagged on poor workmanship when the plumber put a sink close to my new panel. As far as I know, there is no rule about proximity of a panel to a sink in the CEC. The plumber moved the sink.

Romex square or parallel to framing members? That’s bunk as far as I’m concerned. I often drill from corner to corner through joists. It can be easier drilling holes than banging staples even if you own an Estwing. 😊

·
cool cat
289 Posts
I really don't think he has a case, I cant think of a reference and have seen plenty of rough ins run diagonally (3' away from scuttle hole only) I remember in the earlier days in Houston (1979) there was a 3 foot rule (3 foot or less area from the ceiling joist to the bottom of the truss) I have tried to keep that in mind when roughing in.It keeps the other trades from stepping on them or laying ductwork right where your wires are placed damaging wires.
While reminiscing of the old days with my yankee screwdriver , and also didn't have to ground anything over 6 high.

·
Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
890 Posts
I really don't think he has a case, I cant think of a reference and have seen plenty of rough ins run diagonally (3' away from scuttle hole only) I remember in the earlier days in Houston (1979) there was a 3 foot rule (3 foot or less area from the ceiling joist to the bottom of the truss) I have tried to keep that in mind when roughing in.It keeps the other trades from stepping on them or laying ductwork right where your wires are placed damaging wires.
While reminiscing of the old days with my yankee screwdriver , and also didn't have to ground anything over 6 high.
Along with the Yankee screwdriver did you have the old bit and brace with a three corner file?

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
13,602 Posts
Maybe 110.12? Can we still say "workmanlike" or do we have to say, " workpersonlike" manner.
Work-MAN-like and workper-SON-like are both male based words.

Try Work-ALTBINARY-like for a neutral word. It is one of the excepted choices on a drivers license.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What's your opinion?
Never required to do this in 38 years, it's absolutely crazy

·
Registered
95 Posts
3 corner file yes, but a clutchless hole hawg instead of a brace and bit,LOL
Got rid of my Kett drill motors, but not all my Kett bits--including a new one! With Ketts you're got selfeed, get out the 3-sided file, plus one side flatted for the setscrew chuck.

·
Super Moderator Beam Me Up Scotty
Elechicken
2,949 Posts
I got snagged on poor workmanship when the plumber put a sink close to my new panel. As far as I know, there is no rule about proximity of a panel to a sink in the CEC. The plumber moved the sink.
I have a service upgrade to do for a friend. The panel is literally 3' away from the kitchen sink. I was worried about it, I asked an inspector, and they said there's no rule prohibiting the new panel from going there. 2 years now since I looked at that cottage. Ground plate I don't think even got installed yet... and I left it for the homeowner to install for me.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the replies. Our work is neat, we use Stak-its, drill holes in straight lines and place a level on everything. I was more shocked than anything that someone would criticize our work.

·
Administrator
EC
22,428 Posts
Here is the section. I know this is for ac cable but art. 334 sends us here

320.23 In Accessible Attics. Type AC cables in accessible attics
or roof spaces shall be installed as specified in 320.23(A) and
(B).
(A) Cables Run Across the Top of Floor Joists. Where run
across the top of floor joists, or within 2.1 m (7 ft) of the floor
or floor joists across the face of rafters or studding, the cable
shall be protected by guard strips that are at least as high as the
cable. Where this space is not accessible by permanent stairs or
ladders, protection shall only be required within 1.8 m (6 ft) of
the nearest edge of the scuttle hole or attic entrance.
(B) Cable Installed Parallel to Framing Members. Where the
cable is installed parallel to the sides of rafters, studs, or ceiling
or floor joists, neither guard strips nor running boards shall be
required, and the installation shall also comply with 300.4(D).

·
Premium Member
Working With the Tools
825 Posts
What's your opinion?
All through my career I have encountered inspectors that are all over the place with their enforcement. One day you will have one that will barely look at anything, the next day you will have one that demands that the neutral bar bond screw be installed in a sub-panel. Unfortunate, but you have to work through it the best you can.

·
Registered
280 Posts

Running at angles look sloppy and really doesnt save that much money..
What's your opinion?
ignorant lazy inspector

1 - 20 of 26 Posts