Electrician Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
Apply and have credentials. Masters license is a good start. I'd send a resume to all the building departments and follow up on them. Now if it was in California i'd say have a few semesters of clown college under your belt.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a master license with the state of Michigan and most building departments require a inspector certification . I not sure how to get the cert.

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
Jkrauss said:
I have a master license with the state of Michigan and most building departments require a inspector certification . I not sure how to get the cert.
Probably some class.

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
You need to be a failed electrician, have not touched the code book in at least a decade or more, and have a long list of made-up code rules that you like to enforce.
Just to clear things up a bit...

1.I didn't fail as an electrician I just got really bad grades.

2. What's a code book?

3. The only code rule I need is 90.4... the rest of the book is superfluous.

:jester:

Pete

Reactions: electricmanscott

·
Professional Nit Picker
2,341 Posts
ah here's a thought .....................................

ASK the inspector / building department what certifications they require.
There are ICC certs and IAEI certs. Both about the same but provided by different organizations.With Both organizations all you need to do is contact them and schedule the test ,and pay the fees (of course)
The building department may also have a list of required certifications.

·
Professional Nit Picker
2,341 Posts
You need to be a failed electrician, have not touched the code book in at least a decade or more, and have a long list of made-up code rules that you like to enforce.
I DID NOT FAIL as an electrician - they passed me just to get rid of me

I touch a code book every time I work on my one motorcycle. I put it under the kickstand to get the bike to sit up straighter.

I do not have a list of made up code rules, I make them up on the fly

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Sounds like they are trying to hire more inspectors in my town. Right now I can call an inspection in, in about 2-3 days. In couple more months it will be closer to a week.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I just got an email today from the state of Minnesota. They are looking for "contract electrical inspectors".

Dress warm!

·
Banned
652 Posts
What steps would I have to do to become a electrical inspector in Michigan
A lot of failed business owners become inspectors. I know a few that have become good inspectors. I would check with your municipality or the state to see what qualifications are needed to become an inspector.

·
Registered
13,430 Posts
Tapeman said:
I just got an email today from the state of Minnesota. They are looking for "contract electrical inspectors".

Dress warm!
Yeah, one in my area. Best have a 4x4 that gets 50 mpg because they pay crap.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts