Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a service for a friend 2 yrs ago.. Ug upgrade from 100a to a 200a with no added load. Incoming was #2cu.
Load calc was 79a

They decide to get a pool installed and inspector for pool notices new service, and questions upgrade. And utility incoming wire.

Can an inspector do that? Pool electrician is a jackleg..

Here is work he did

Siemens panel

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
This inspector must be pretty new. The aerial drop is up to the power company to sort out. He can't even inspect that. The aerial drop is sized to NESC rules (not the NEC), and in large part to the lineman's discretion also. As long as your riser is NEC compliant, he can bark about it all day if he wants, but there's nothing he can actually do about it.

The only time I've managed to successfully get the poco to change the aerial drop is when voltage drop under load was measured.

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
Am I reading this correctly? You did a job w/out a permit and now someone is asking about it?

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MDShunk said:
This inspector must be pretty new. The aerial drop is up to the power company to sort out. He can't even inspect that. The aerial drop is sized to NESC rules (not the NEC), and in large part to the lineman's discretion also. As long as your riser is NEC compliant, he can bark about it all day if he wants, but there's nothing he can actually do about it.

The only time I've managed to successfully get the poco to change the aerial drop is when voltage drop under load was measured.
Thanks for useful input unlike others...

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
By the way, NESC rules (there's some room for calculations) generally prescribe #2 for 100 amp and 1/0 for 200 amp. I KNOW for a fact that there are thousands upon thousands of 100 to 200 amp upgrades that are still on the #2 drop. Especially if the upgrade was done without adding any new real load.

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out if it's an OH drop or UG.

We have to clear a 200 amp service here with the poco. << that would mean it wouldn't even cross my mind to hook up a 200 amp service to wire rated for 100 amps.

That's what electricians do no?

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out if it's an OH drop or UG.

We have to clear a 200 amp service here with the poco.
Must be overhead. It's quite unlikely that the inspector cut the meter can seal to take a look at the size of the underground conductors in the meter can on a pool panel inspection. :laughing:

·
fertilizer distrubuter
1,250 Posts
I was on the same thought as it'shardworkingstiff. You have a wierd area. I guess if the ordinances are in place and there is a violation he may be able to shut it down. In most areas I would say it has been inspected already and he can pound sand.

·
3,670 Posts
Must be overhead. It's quite unlikely that the inspector cut the meter can seal to take a look at the size of the underground conductors in the meter can on a pool panel inspection. :laughing:
Ah. When we do that the inspector here also sends in a request for the poco to increase the wire size.

^^ Now the OP can say he didn't do the connection at the service head, in which case the poco came out and did the connection to his 200 amp service using 100 amp wire.

Now the poco sometimes uses as an excuse that they work 24/7/365. That might work.

If the OP slapped the connection together when he changed over and forgot to tell anyone then he dropped the ball.

If all was above board and inspected 2 years ago then he has no problem methinks. Someone does tho.

I think the inspector can have bad stuff replaced. That's what they do, - at least in Canada. Safety stuff you see.

·
ET rocks
2,875 Posts
To be clear, OP states that it's an UNDERGROUND service. Poco has #2 COPPER secondary.

My take:

Inspector need not worry about the secondary. He needs to fail the hack wagon's pool install.

HO hires Denny to straighten out pool install........collect check.....next.

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
Ah. When we do that the inspector here also sends in a request for the poco to increase the wire size.

^^ Now the OP can say he didn't do the connection at the service head, in which case the poco came out and did the connection to his 200 amp service using 100 amp wire.

Now the poco sometimes uses as an excuse that they work 24/7/365. That might work.

If the OP slapped the connection together when he changed over and forgot to tell anyone then he dropped the ball.

If all was above board and inspected 2 years ago then he has no problem methinks. Someone does tho.

I think the inspector can have bad stuff replaced. That's what they do, - at least in Canada. Safety stuff you see.
We came to the US to escape tyranny shortly after 1492. Fought wars over it, ya see.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
denny3992 said:
No, u assumed i had no permit.... Or inspection Im in a whoever the hell can, will inspect area... No designated agency for inspection. As long as theyre on pocos list.
Feel your pain brother. Poco made me change subfeed raceway to sched 80 on a mobile home hookup last week. And the permit office doesn't inspect until after they have a meter apparently? Really stupid area. Makes no sense here either.

·
3,670 Posts
Really dumb people hire really smart people to do things they don't know how to do.

Someone connected 100 amp feed (from poco, perhaps unfused) to a 200 amp main. Then someone (the OP maybe) did a load calc and came up with 79 amps... perhaps to justify?

^^ What's wrong with that picture?

I don't think we are getting all the info.

To the OP... Did you get it inspected 2 years ago? Even if you did I'm wondering why you would do that unless the inspector informed you then he would be requesting the poco update their wire, as they do here. In fact our inspection report shows that request.

·
Registered
8,054 Posts
daveEM said:
Really dumb people hire really smart people to do things they don't know how to do. Someone connected 100 amp feed (from poco, perhaps unfused) to a 200 amp main. Then someone (the OP maybe) did a load calc and came up with 79 amps... perhaps to justify? ^^ What's wrong with that picture? I don't think we are getting all the info. To the OP... Did you get it inspected 2 years ago? Even if you did I'm wondering why you would do that unless the inspector informed you then he would be requesting the poco update their wire, as they do here. In fact our inspection report shows that request.
We have nothing to do with poco drops, which has already been stated. The poco knows when permitted service upgrades are done and it is their decision which action to take with the UG or drop conductors. I'm very happy that Canada is so overbearing with their inspection requirements but the op isn't in Canada. Telling us all the things you can and can't do in Canada is kind of ruining the thread.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
We have nothing to do with poco drops, which has already been stated. The poco knows when permitted service upgrades are done and it is their decision which action to take with the UG or drop conductors. I'm very happy that Canada is so overbearing with their inspection requirements but the op isn't in Canada. Telling us all the things you can and can't do in Canada is kind of ruining the thread.

Relax big guy, it's the same here.
Utility has say as to weather or not to upgrade feeders.
I've done lots of upgrades here where the poco left the existing feeders because there was no increase in load.
Utility maintains their own cable it has nothing to do with inspection here.
At least in Ontario

Sent from my iPhone using electriciantalk.com

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
daveEM said:
Really dumb people hire really smart people to do things they don't know how to do.

Someone connected 100 amp feed (from poco, perhaps unfused) to a 200 amp main. Then someone (the OP maybe) did a load calc and came up with 79 amps... perhaps to justify?

^^ What's wrong with that picture?

I don't think we are getting all the info.

To the OP... Did you get it inspected 2 years ago? Even if you did I'm wondering why you would do that unless the inspector informed you then he would be requesting the poco update their wire, as they do here. In fact our inspection report shows that request.
Yes it was inspected 2 yrs ago, i pulled up paperwork from poco form and found load calc. Poco chose not to change ug, prob becuz its direct burial.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.