Electrician Talk banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts
Just move the treated 2x6 up a couple of inches and mount an approved fan box. It looks like the box in the photo is only supported by the PVC. It's hard to tell by looking at the photo.
I've done this before just with one cable though.The box is only like a half inch and recessed into the 2X6. The box is screwed into the wood. The pvc conduit does not provide support . You can hang from it . Drywall isn't going up. That's the finished construction.

Discussion starter · #22 ·
What's with the hood off to the right in the pic?
Also it looks like they're going to close in the ceiling area in which case your box should come level to the edge of the finished wall. Also I would hog out more of the 2x6 and install a real box the I'd heavy up the 2x6 on the back side.
This is a very logical approach. Thank you. I will remember that for next time.

Wood Shade Beam Building Line

Discussion starter · #23 ·
I've done this before just with one cable though.The box is only like a half inch and recessed into the 2X6. The box is screwed into the wood. The pvc conduit does not provide support . You can hang from it . Drywall isn't going up. That's the finished construction.
Thank you.

What's with the hood off to the right in the pic?
Also it looks like they're going to close in the ceiling area in which case your box should come level to the edge of the finished wall. Also I would hog out more of the 2x6 and install a real box the I'd heavy up the 2x6 on the back side.
That is what I was going to say Double up the 2x6 on top with just a hole for the pipe. I could of never used red PT for the 2x6 I would of had to use straight pine like rest of frame, someone went through a lot of work to make it look real nice.
Also if they want fans what are the hook eyes going to hang, plants?
Cowboy

Oh yea @Brighton welcome let us know the outcome so everyone learns.

Discussion starter · #27 ·
That is what I was going to say Double up the 2x6 on top with just a hole for the pipe. I could of never used red PT for the 2x6 I would of had to use straight pine like rest of frame, someone went through a lot of work to make it look real nice.
Also if they want fans what are the hook eyes going to hang, plants?
Cowboy

Oh yea @Brighton welcome let us know the outcome so everyone learns.
I agree, the red PT looked out of place, not a bad idea otherwise. I passed on the job. I primarily wanted to discuss the use of the 2X6 with a recessed fan pan, and how others felt about hanging to that particular configuration. I personally would not mount to it as it was currently, as I felt the fan pan lag bolts would not hold up over time with the 1" hole drilled right through the center of the support beam. Though that may have been resolved by just drilling all the way through and adding a couple of bolts with some small fender washers on the top side of the board.

I do not have any other information about the project. I felt that the structure looked real nice overall otherwise.

The 2X6 board is probably strong enough to support a normal fan, but if you have doubts you can add wood square boards to the top, each side and screw from the bottom to secure. Be careful not to go beyond the 2X6 edge to keep it clean looking. Or you could replace the 2x6 off color boards with 4x6 pine or double 2x6 pine.

I'm pretty sure it's not up to code. --but that's already been said.

2020 Code Language:
314.27(C) Boxes at Ceiling-Suspended (Paddle) Fan Outlets.
Outlet boxes or outlet box systems used as the sole support of a ceiling-suspended (paddle) fan shall be listed, shall be marked by their manufacturer as suitable for this purpose, and shall not support ceiling-suspended (paddle) fans that weigh more than 32 kg (70 lb). For outlet boxes or outlet box systems designed to support ceiling-suspended (paddle) fans that weigh more than 16 kg (35 lb), the required marking shall include the maximum weight to be supported.
Outlet boxes mounted in the ceilings of habitable rooms of dwelling occupancies in a location acceptable for the installation of a ceiling-suspended (paddle) fan shall comply with one of the following:
(1) Listed for the sole support of ceiling-suspended (paddle) fans
(2) An outlet box complying with the applicable requirements of 314.27 and providing access to structural framing capable of supporting of a ceiling-suspended (paddle) fan bracket or equivalent

Discussion starter · #32 · (Edited)
Thank you.

This is what sparked my original post on this topic. How do we know when structural framing is capable of supporting a ceiling fan? Are there some guidelines out there that refer to what various types of wood and wood thicknesses should be used to adequately support up to 70 Lbs?

I know that most installations just use a 2X4, but when we start mounting boards on the 2" side, and boring holes into them, how thin can we really go before it is considered no longer capable of supporting the weight?

"Outlet boxes mounted in the ceilings of habitable rooms of dwelling occupancies in a location acceptable for the installation of a ceiling-suspended (paddle) fan shall comply with one of the following:
(2) An outlet box complying with the applicable requirements of 314.27 and providing access to structural framing capable of supporting of a ceiling-suspended (paddle) fan bracket or equivalent."

I sure would like to know how to make this determination.

Regards,

They make fan rated boxes now that I am less comfortable with than a standard non-fan metal octagon box.

I agree, hang the fans and move on. Unless they bought really high end outdoor fans, there's a good chance the fans will need to be replaced long before there are any issues with water getting in.
Im with you on the cheap boxes

Thank you.

This is what sparked my original post on this topic. How do we know when structural framing is capable of supporting a ceiling fan? Are there some guidelines out there that refer to what various types of wood and wood thicknesses should be used to adequately support up to 70 Lbs?

I know that most installations just use a 2X4, but when we start mounting boards on the 2" side, and boring holes into them, how thin can we really go before it is considered no longer capable of supporting the weight?

"Outlet boxes mounted in the ceilings of habitable rooms of dwelling occupancies in a location acceptable for the installation of a ceiling-suspended (paddle) fan shall comply with one of the following:
(2) An outlet box complying with the applicable requirements of 314.27 and providing access to structural framing capable of supporting of a ceiling-suspended (paddle) fan bracket or equivalent."

I sure would like to know how to make this determination.

Regards,
Get on your ladder and Slowly try to do a chin up on that board, if it holds finish the job. If it does not hold, you hear a crack or it sags, there is your answer. Talk w HO, either you or the GC can add a 2x4 or 2x6 on edge to the back/top of existing wood, preferably with appropriate screws, not nails.
if it will hold a grown man, a fan will never break it.

A 2x6 block like that, even with as much cut out of it as it is there, is more than strong enough to hold any normal fan. Now the 1" of wood to screw into could be an issue. I would use bolts rhrough the block with fender washers and nylon locknuts to hold up the fan and not worry about it at all.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.