Electrician Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you guys do it? Do you first make sure the puck is listed for installation in ceilings, and do you use a j box? Every puck I have ever pulled out of a ceiling where there was no attic just had the transformer laying up there with flying splices. Or the transformer in the attic, with the LV splices laying in the ceiling or wall.Makes me think I am the only one that uses j boxes. I also like to put them in a 2 gang box nearby, hidden in a cabinet etc.
I don't think there is an exception in the code for flying splices on low voltage lighting.

·
Armed and Unhinged
424 Posts
I splice inside a box. They do have those splice kits that you're allowed to sink in a wall though.

·
Premium Member
19,544 Posts
I just cant see concealing zip cord like that but, if it's a class it's a class 2 circuit, read what the book says about splicing it...
FWIW, just because it's 12volts doesn't automatically make it a class 2circuit. What's the output VA of the transformer/ driver?

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,666 Posts
Dennis will be along any minute to tell us boxes are required.
Not in this situation. It looks like the 120V is landed in a trany and the rest is part of a listed system so it seems fine.

A remote trany would be different but this looks like a listed kit.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,666 Posts
Huh does not explain what you don't understand. Isn't the trany in an enclosure? If the puck is listed as a kit then it is possible the wire is class 2. I am not saying it is but it could be compliant.

On second look it appears to be a standard puck and if that is the case then you cannot install the light in the manner it is installed.

·
Premium Member
19,544 Posts
I just saw that the op connected the Romeo into the transformer and tossed the whole thing in the attic. This is where the problem begins.
There are so many good lighting options out there. Why people like these I'll never know. I think they see them merchandised on a shelf in Home Depot and think it will work anywhere.
Next thing you know, these are going to end up in a plenum...

·
Registered
809 Posts
I hate puck lights. I usually get the 3" can light kits. Has a jbox on the top. They are a little bigger but if i cant plug them in like above a bookcase i dont put them in.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts