Electrician Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had to install a new demarc for a guys tv antennas and dishes. He wanted me to install an IDEAL intersystem bonding terminal. (These things look pretty cool but we are still on 2005NEC so this is the first time I had to install one of these).

Hopefully you can picture this...

Usually the phone and cable company simply latch onto the rmc riser with those galvanized grounding straps or a standard clamp. I was just going to do the same when the customer asked for the bonding terminal.

However, I could not attach directly to the GEC (#8 in conduit) unless I were to dangle it at ground level at the exposed portion of the GEC where it attaches to the top of the rod. I also didn't want to dig up a portion of the rod to attach directly to it with a second acorn clamp and then run #6 up to the ISB terminal next to the demarc. I thought all these options looked sloppy. I also cant get into the meter enclosures without a major ordeal.

Im going back tomorrow to install some outdoor outlets and told him I would get the stuff grounded then.

What would be the best way to install this thing?

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
I see a #6 cu tail bonded to the neutral in the meter socket and the ISBT attached right below the meter socket.

Pete

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The second one you show is essentially the same device.

But there is no practical way to install it without landing directly on the GEC or in the meter can.

Unless a standard ground clamp on the raceway with #6 feeding the device would work... but that looks sloppy too.

Edit.... sorry that second one is not the same... the GEC passes thru that one. Again the conductor is enclosed in rmc.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
However, I could not attach directly to the GEC (#8 in conduit). What would be the best way to install this thing?
Hopefully it's PVC conduit. Here is how I do it.

Ring around the pvc using a pair of pvc cutters in 2 places, far enough apart to fit the IBS.

Pop out the section of PVC and cut it vertically with your ***** to release it from the wire.

Install IBS.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hopefully it's PVC conduit. Here is how I do it.

Ring around the pvc using a pair of pvc cutters in 2 places, far enough apart to fit the IBS.

Pop out the section of PVC and cut it vertically with your ***** to release it from the wire.

Install IBS.

Nice method. Unfortunetly we don't use PVC around here... the gec is in rigid.

I gotta go back there after lunch today and I still don't see a clean way to use this thing....

So if I do use the customer supplied ISB.

I would have to clamp the raceway between the can and the panel and install a #6 tail over to the ISB device.

Or I install a second acorn clamp to the rod and run a #6 cable tied the rigid the GEC is in and then over to the ISB device.

Or I tell them to call their cable and phone providers to ground they way they prefer.

Without getting into the can or clamping directly onto the GEC, I don't see a method to using such a device.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts