Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How imporrtant is the right PPE to you? Do you use PPE? Under what circumstances do you know you're supposed to use personal protective equipment, but you choose not to? Under what circumstances do you always use personal protective equipment?

The following picture shows rubber insulated PPE in the left pic, and arc flash PPE in the right picture.

Right hand photo courtesy of Joe Tedesco, NEC consultant, www.joetedesco.org.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The company I work for is in the process of requiring PPE. We currently have to wear the gloves anytime we are in a panel with over 120VAC. They are in process of doing the arc calcs and getting ready to get the necessary PPE for that. But they move slow. I find the gloves cumbersome at times but I wear them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
That is some really nice metal on that there buckle.
Humm. What rating is on that buckle?:no: LOL

Mark

·
Registered
133 Posts
We have the rubber insulated gloves but have not had a need for the shoulders. We also have not had the need for Mr. Tedesco's set up. I have been looking into the ARC flash suits a bit. I hope they all dont look like footie PJ's with oven mits though.:laughing:

·
Premium Member
20,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is some really nice metal on that there buckle.
Humm. What rating is on that buckle?:no: LOL

Mark
Eh, I was just showing off some of the gear. Not doing any work. I had pens in my pocket, too. :eek:

·
Premium Member
20,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In my photo above, the black rubber gloves are by White Rubber, the leather glove protectors are by Kunz, the sleeves are by Salisbury, and the overshoes are by Servus. I forget who's shield that is. I'm pretty sure it's clipped into a regular MSA hard hat. The above manufacturer's are some of the main one's for such gear. Here's a tip... sometimes the local POCO will test your gloves and sleeves for you for free if you're an electrician. Saves you 20 bucks a year in testing.

The stuff I'm wearing in the pic is just di-electric, and doesn't help in an arc flash. Well, the face shield will. Otherwise, you'd just have melted rubber all over yourself. The stuff Joe's wearing on the right that looks like quilted coveralls is genunie high-dollar arc-flash gear.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would fall under the first two categories and rarely in the second. So what recommendations do you have for me of gear to get. My wife has been on my case to get at least gloves to work on panels, including a tattoo for my ring finger. I am willing to do so I just haven't found any that are not to bulky.

·
Premium Member
20,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am willing to do so I just haven't found any that are not to bulky.
And you won't. The best thing you can do is to order your gloves 1/2 a size too small for a snug fit.

·
Premium Member
20,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
do you wear gloves when you are working on a resi panel by yourself?
Nope, but I'm a rebel like that. If it's a screwed up panel such that I can see the possibility of getting hurt because of a pre-existing mess, I don't hesitate to pull the meter. The frieldly neighborhood linemen keep me stocked up on new seal tags.

·
Premium Member
20,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so what would you recommend?
If you're asking me, I'll have to defer the question. I'm not educated enough on this topic to be able to give a recommendation.

·
DGFVT
2,527 Posts
I would fall under the first two categories and rarely in the second. So what recommendations do you have for me of gear to get. My wife has been on my case to get at least gloves to work on panels, including a tattoo for my ring finger. I am willing to do so I just haven't found any that are not to bulky.
Since you already know what category you fall under try this link. These are packaged as kits and are easy to store on the truck. The equipment can be ordered online or you might have a local branch near you.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ww...obeCompatable=true&toolbar=false&CatPage=1990

View attachment 205

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have all those tools already, I was just looking for a little more protection. So I can come home at the end of the day to my family.

·
Registered
5 Posts
PPE at a Nuke

We have, here at this plant, worn PPE for years. 480 Volts required Nomex labcoat or coveralls, face shield, and rubber inner gloves with leather outers. These are air tested before every usage. Hearing protection was also required. Just recently, we have changed over to Excel coveralls because they have a 7.7 Kcal rating as opposed to a 6.6 for Nomex.

Recently, we also purchased 25 Kcal complete suits. Hoods with air supplies and green face shields. 25 Kcal overalls with a 25 Kcal outer jackets. This will be used on some special 480 volt evolutions.

We also use 100 Kcal complete suits for working 4.1 and 6.9 KV. This includes 100 Kcal hoods and face shields, air supplies, leggings, shoe covers and outer jacket. We also wear rubber gloves rated 22 Kv and water test them before every usage. They are also tested by our lab every year. Over those are leather gauntlet gloves. The 100Kcal and 25 Kcal PPE is made by Oberon.

The 100 Kcal PPE is laundered after every usage. We have about $100,000 in PPE alone. I think we now have at least 25 100 Kcal suits complete.

We also purchased new hotsticks and shephards hooks (useless).

All of our hot work, 480 v and above require 2 people. One person is the worker and the other is the safety checker. Both have to be suited out equally.

Anyone needing more PPE info, such as our PPE matrix here at the plant, just get in touch with me. I use this stuff on a daily basis and am pretty familiar with its field usage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
PPE Revisited

Before I worked here at the Power Plant, I enjoyed 33 years as a Construction Electrician. I have traveled all over the US and worked in 12 different states.

I have worked about every conceivable electrical job known, from power plants, refineries, pulp mills, mines, food processing, hospitals, high rises to residential work.

There isn't too much that I haven't done or seen done. No brag, just fact.

In all that time, I never used PPE. The thought never occurred to me. As far as I was concerned, PPE was for wusses.

However, since I have been here at the power plant, my ideas have changed. If I had to do it over again, I would definitely wear PPE.

When working anything live above 120 volts, at a minimum; hard hat with colored face shield, a nomex or excel shirt and low voltage gloves. For the one or two man shop, this outlay of a few dollars will more than pay for itself in the long run.

When I think of the videos and training that I have received here, I consider myself lucky that I made it through the trade all these years.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts