Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there is an upside in places that require listed fasteners but i was wondering what about ease of use and speed. Do you stab your finger nails less with insulated enough that it would justify the double cost for them? What about in difficult spaces does having the little nails on them make it easier to hammer in since you're not spreading your force against the whole staple?

·
Professional Nit Picker
2,333 Posts
Myself and another inspector have this ongoing argument about insulated verses non-insulated staples.
He swears they should be code as they will reduce afci issues. I say they are not the problem and the use of them is a design/installer preference. I am a firm believer that if a person knows how to use regular non insulated staples there should be no issues.

Seriously when I got into the trade back in '82 I was taught how to drive a staple. I mean I was taught how to drive it straight and how not to drive it too far in !

Maybe instead of dumbing down everything ,we should just teach people how to do it correctly.........................

·
Light Bender
plumber
6,326 Posts
Myself and another inspector have this ongoing argument about insulated verses non-insulated staples.
He swears they should be code as they will reduce afci issues. I say they are not the problem and the use of them is a design/installer preference. I am a firm believer that if a person knows how to use regular non insulated staples there should be no issues.

Seriously when I got into the trade back in '82 I was taught how to drive a staple. I mean I was taught how to drive it straight and how not to drive it too far in !

Maybe instead of dumbing down everything ,we should just teach people how to do it correctly.........................

I think it depends on how you are taught as well. I was taught by a small shop, custom homes. We stapled as we wired.
Worked for another big Ressidential outfit that wired as fast as they could and sent the first year guys to staple later with little supervision. Looked terrible and always had problems.

·
Premium Member
20,984 Posts
Staple driving is resi electrician 101. Like what you learn on your very first day. While I've had service calls related to overdriven staples, I think I can count them on one hand. It's not really a problem that requires solving by the use of insulated staples or anything else. Once you get it through a guy's head that the staple is just to hold the cable roughly in the center of the stud and not to secure it against the zombie apocalypse, you can use the regular uninsulated Viking staples electricians have used since the Roman times. :smile:

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,568 Posts

Agree 100%, there is no need to go all gorilla on staples!

·
Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
7,308 Posts
Could be an area thing .... but I always thought the insulated staples, and the 2 nail type were a DIY product.

Funny how someone will drill 3/4" holes for a single 14/2 run, but then want the staples good and tight :eek:

·
Premium Member
20,984 Posts
Could be an area thing .... but I always thought the insulated staples, and the 2 nail type were a DIY product.

Funny how someone will drill 3/4" holes for a single 14/2 run, but then want the staples good and tight :eek:
Me too. The only place I've even seen the 2-nail type and the wire type with the rubber dipped crowns was at the DIY stores.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I've seen them some in Idaho but no one really uses them in Washington here. I was curious because they aren't all that special but I could see some ergonomic upsides to not having a staple bend or stabbing your finger as you get at it in a difficult spot such as by ducts.

·
Senior Moment
7,842 Posts
Staples, hell just use electricians duct tape, or perhaps a big wad of electricians gum.:vs_closedeyes:

·
corn-fused
4,769 Posts
i've always thought that plastic staples were amateur. but in some circumstances they are easier such as in tight spots and they dont bounce as much on TGIs

·
Registered
141 Posts
Whenever I see insulated staples used to fasten NM cable I usually find a few Carlon boxes with tape on the yellow wire nuts.

The place I usually see insulated staples is in the unfinished part of a basement sometime after an unlicensed contractor completed the finished basement.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I use insulated staples, too. There have been degrading remarks here about those who use them...as if it is unprofessional. You do need to learn how to staple romex, but even for a pro, the insulated staple gives added protection. I use the King 06022 staples

·
Estwing magic
25,445 Posts
Do you use the kind that are listed for stacked romex all the time or switch it up between the cheaper ones that only can do one and the stacker ones?
Are these what you're talking about? I put two 14/2's or 12/2's under these. I don't know if they are approved for two cables but I do it all the time.

If somebody calls me unprofessional for using them, I don't care. They're better than those stamped steel ones with the shoulder. Those things suck donkey ballz.

Attachments

·
Can't sign em..forget em
7,439 Posts
I was once told ( and I don't buy it) that
these plastic ends on the staples 99 just posted
reduce AFCI nuisance tripping cause (allegedly)
they prevent arcing across the neutral and hot
(which according to this person saying this meant
magnetically).

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,568 Posts
If you're having problems banging in staples, buy a good hammer. Estwing hammers have magic inside of them. They hit straight every time. Made in America too :) .
Not sure about the made in America part any longer, I know from calling them that they don't warranty the stacked leather handles now, if they crack it's on you.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts