Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,

I have a question regarding insulating bushings not grounding bushings. Now I've heard various things and am aware of the cec codes 12-906-2 but I would like to know if there is a section regarding whether one is required to use an insulating bushing with pvc conduit? I know it is required for mechanical protection that is so that the conduit is not rubbing on the edge of metal etc. I've heard some use them with pvc as a best practice and to just keep their inspectors happy. Is there a firm and hard rule in the cec? Any replies are much appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
12,412 Posts
Hello everybody,

I have a question regarding insulating bushings not grounding bushings. Now I've heard various things and am aware of the cec codes 12-906-2 but I would like to know if there is a section regarding whether one is required to use an insulating bushing with pvc conduit? I know it is required for mechanical protection that is so that the conduit is not rubbing on the edge of metal etc. I've heard some use them with pvc as a best practice and to just keep their inspectors happy. Is there a firm and hard rule in the cec? Any replies are much appreciated. Thank you.
In a properly installed pvc system no bushing is required. Why would it be?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alright nice to see some replies. I've never used insulating bushings with pvc but know of some people who do just to avoid the hassle of inspectors. They figure for the pitance price of a bushing they'll use one. It's the Canadian Electrical Code I'm concerned with but thanks for the replies regarding the nec anyways. Sounds like there is nothing in relation. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

·
Senior Lurker
1,310 Posts
Alright nice to see some replies. I've never used insulating bushings with pvc but know of some people who do just to avoid the hassle of inspectors. They figure for the pitance price of a bushing they'll use one. It's the Canadian Electrical Code I'm concerned with but thanks for the replies regarding the nec anyways. Sounds like there is nothing in relation. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.
I hate arguing with inspectors so for that reason if I was concerned I might just do it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts