Electrician Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a job I am looking at where two floors have interconnected smoke alarms and I was asked to connect them. Do they make a wireless version that I could put on both zones to make both zones work together?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Yes. I've used Kidde RF but BRK (onelink) also makes them. You will have to switch them all to compatible model numbers though (not all have to be RF).

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. I've used Kidde RF but BRK (onelink) also makes them. You will have to switch them all to compatible model numbers though (not all have to be RF).
This probably won't be a problem I am going to recommend complete replacement since they are over ten years old.

·
Flex Bits & Blindfolds
1,120 Posts
I have a job I am looking at where two floors have interconnected smoke alarms and I was asked to connect them. Do they make a wireless version that I could put on both zones to make both zones work together?
First Alert OneLink are exactly what you're looking for. They have both a battery, and a AC/battery combo that will work. The entire OneLink system links together and are radio controlled. Shop around for the best prices.

http://www.firstalertstore.com/store/categories/onelink-wireless-products.htm

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
svh19044 said:
Do you have a BRK model number that will interconnect the two zones and be battery backup.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok thank you for verifying. I just got off the phone with their customer support. The second problem is this is a rehab home with 13 smokes. Only 12 units are allowed to be interconnected according to the rep I spoke to on the phone. Sounds silly since both circuits are only going to be connected by the two wireless units.

·
Premium Member
20,983 Posts
The 12 smoke alarm limit is an NFPA requirement. More than 12 and you need to use a system for smoke detector supervision. Will your 13 smoke alarm proposal work? Absolutely. Will it be compliant? Nope.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Will have to see if we could possibly drop one smoke that is in an office where they give out medicine only as needed. Since the NFPA only allows 12 interconnected units.

·
Premium Member
20,983 Posts
Since you're technically making a change and not a repair, I wonder if these interconnected smoke alarms would even be allowed in this occupancy type? Sounds like intermediate level healthcare.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Since you're technically making a change and not a repair, I wonder if these interconnected smoke alarms would even be allowed in this occupancy type? Sounds like intermediate level healthcare.
Good question. They were told by the state that all they needed to do is make the two zones interconnected and it would be ok. I am still trying to get more info. They are a non profit drug and alcohol rehab home for women. And they are looking into whether the one room can be removed from the interconnected system to make the rest compliant.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts