Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone here give me any insights into working at McMurdo as an electrician? From what I understand it's a 10hr 6 days a week gig that pays $1500 a week to where you can contract for 3mo-6mo?

Obviously I'd probably want to get deployed there for 3mo during the summer my first time, but what's the work intensity like? Is this the type of job only for a 20 yr old bull? Not that I'm super old but certainly the younger bros I can barely keep up with! I'd imagine there's a mix of all sorts of electrical work needing to be done from changing out old switch gear to light remodel stuff, no?

Also, how stringent is the dental and physical exam? My only real physical ailment is my carpal tunnel and I'm missing a few teeth, no cavities though.

Other than that it seems like it would be a chance to make some good money and getting to visit a place very few have visited.

·
Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
1,862 Posts
Can anyone here give me any insights into working at McMurdo as an electrician? From what I understand it's a 10hr 6 days a week gig that pays $1500 a week to where you can contract for 3mo-6mo?

Obviously I'd probably want to get deployed there for 3mo during the summer my first time, but what's the work intensity like? Is this the type of job only for a 20 yr old bull? Not that I'm super old but certainly the younger bros I can barely keep up with! I'd imagine there's a mix of all sorts of electrical work needing to be done from changing out old switch gear to light remodel stuff, no?

Also, how stringent is the dental and physical exam? My only real physical ailment is my carpal tunnel and I'm missing a few teeth, no cavities though.

Other than that it seems like it would be a chance to make some good money and getting to visit a place very few have visited.
I saw that offer on Indeed. If I was a few years younger I would check it out. I am curious about it.

·
Super Moderator
7,737 Posts
Where is McMurdo?
The McMurdo Station is a United States Antarctic research station on the south tip of Ross Island, which is in the New Zealand–claimed Ross Dependency on the shore of McMurdo Sound in Antarctica. Wikipedia

·
Super Moderator
7,737 Posts
If that includes room & board, travel, etc. and there's nothing to spend money on, I can see why some guys might take them up on that. Come back with $30k in your pocket and put it down on a house, start a family ,etc.

Reactions: splatz

·
Registered
Commercial and Light Industrial Service
66 Posts
I was thinking the same thing, the pay is absolutely dragging bottom, but the experience and stories would be priceless.
I worked canneries up in Bristol Bay for several seasons shortly after getting my jman card. Yes, the pay was awful, but I would do it all over again. The experience for my career and the adventure you can’t beat. This opportunity sounds like it would be similar, minus the crispy fishermen, Filipinos on meth, and the folks that took the job because for whatever mysterious reason they had to get the hell outta lower 48 and lay low for a bit.

·
Registered
Commercial/Industrial and Service work
482 Posts
If that includes room & board, travel, etc. and there's nothing to spend money on, I can see why some guys might take them up on that. Come back with $30k in your pocket and put it down on a house, start a family ,etc.
I guess if you didn’t have a family and bills and a house already at home

·
Registered
381 Posts

I say do it. I'm sure there's a process and you can always change your mind before you go. Make sure you have a way back in case you get there and it's zombie central. There are movies that start this way...

·
Premium Member
19,636 Posts

I had an old friend that worked “on the ice” it was a great experience for him.
The long contracts were for the winter months where you can’t leave
As for the exam, they look for people that have had their wisdom teeth and appendix removed.

·
Estwing magic
26,590 Posts
You save money when you don’t spend money.

You probably know this already but their seasons are reversed compared to our’s. You don’t want to go there thinking it’s summer but it’s actually winter.

·
Super Moderator
7,737 Posts
You save money when you don’t spend money.

You probably know this already but their seasons are reversed compared to our’s. You don’t want to go there thinking it’s summer but it’s actually winter.
Kind of like tomorrow's news yesterday.
There's a guy who's a 777 pilot and he has a YouTube channel. He'll be in a hotel on a layover in Asia and report "tomorrow's news yesterday" because he's reporting live from tomorrow, he's telling you about what happened a day ahead of where you are, and it's yesterday on the calendar as you are watching.

·
Registered
industrial E,I&C
3,778 Posts
I say do it. I'm sure there's a process and you can always change your mind before you go. Make sure you have a way back in case you get there and it's zombie central. There are movies that start this way...
There is no escape. Nothing can get to the camp during the winter.

On the bright side if you die i think they keep you on the clock until summer when they fly you home.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Ya that pay is terrible for 6-10d freezing your adds off that’s probably pre tax I can make 3300 at home on 6 10s
It may not be as terrible as if first appears. When I worked in Argentina I paid no US or State income tax on the money earned. I was told that is normal for money made overseas. If you get to keep the whole amount that doesn't seem too terrible to me.

--
Tom Horne

·
Registered
Commercial/Industrial and Service work
482 Posts
It may not be as terrible as if first appears. When I worked in Argentina I paid no US or State income tax on the money earned. I was told that is normal for money made overseas. If you get to keep the whole amount that doesn't seem too terrible to me.

--
Tom Horne
Ya each their own I guess. I wonder if cold weather gear will be provided or do you need to buy 2 grand worth of your own ? Idk winters are cold enough in the Midwest I can’t imagine Antarctica. I think I’d rather work a shut down at a car plant instead

1 - 20 of 66 Posts