Electrician Talk banner
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
industrial E,I&C
3,764 Posts
What contractors might these be?

I will have to ask my mate which one hes with now. All of the jobs are in america on large projects like power plants, gas compressors, battery plants, paper mills and refinery rebuilds. Pay is reasonable but as your away from home you tend to work lots of hours which adds up to a huge pay check plus you also have you per-day living expensiveness on top of that. (work 13 on they pay the 14th per-day even if you don't work). They also have a medical plan which is a bonus.

Down side of the job is if a sub messes up the whole crew is kicked (safety violations are real strict). If you have a good reputation that's not a problem as you simply jump crews or get relocated (unless you was the reason the safety guys kicked the crew).

·
Registered
industrial E,I&C
3,764 Posts
“They hate us cause the ain’t us” give some one a real chance and I bet they would vote yes. If it doesn’t work you would get organized in for trying anyway. Or if you don’t mind traveling go buy a book down south and work off book 2 on big shut downs around the country
You IBEW.

If so i was wondering why did they built a new office in Florida (ibew 22) about a mile from where i live in the middle of bloody no-where. Is there something big like the airport finally getting built?.

·
Registered
Commercial/Industrial and Service work
461 Posts
You IBEW.

If so i was wondering why did they built a new office in Florida (ibew 22) about a mile from where i live in the middle of bloody no-where. Is there something big like the airport finally getting built?.
Yes I am and No clue I’m not from Florida. Maybe they got a deal on the land.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Down side of the job is if a sub messes up the whole crew is kicked (safety violations are real strict). If you have a good reputation that's not a problem as you simply jump crews or get relocated (unless you was the reason the safety guys kicked the crew).
Are they enforcing mask mandates on these type of jobs?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Pay is reasonable but as your away from home you tend to work lots of hours which adds up to a huge pay check
I found when working mucho OT hours in the oilfield that those hours were taxed heavily at a higher rate after maybe 60 hrs per week. It looks great on your W-2 but Uncle Sam takes their greedy slice.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I found when working mucho OT hours in the oilfield that those hours were taxed heavily at a higher rate after maybe 60 hrs per week. It looks great on your W-2 but Uncle Sam takes their greedy slice.
I think that's just an automatic adjustment in case your pay was actually that much per week. I'm no accountant but i think it balances out normally at the end of the year.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Ya fake news OT is not charged more on taxes your tax bracket decides your taxes on what u make the whole year it will balance out on your return

·
Registered
industrial E,I&C
3,764 Posts
Ya fake news OT is not charged more on taxes your tax bracket decides your taxes on what u make the whole year it will balance out on your return
It kinda does happen when you jump tax brackets. If you was set up for a 40k year as a single person and you started to add overtime that's going to push you to say 60k then its noticeable as you jumped from 12% to 22%. next jump at 86k is not so noticeable as its only 2%.

·
Hackenschmidt
12,212 Posts
Ya, after a quick google it looks like that oil patch scuttlebutt was a myth to some degree, but the OT definitely would jump me up a bracket.
The IRS income tax is a graduated tax. Some of your income is not taxed, for most people it comes to a flat amount determined by the number of kids you have, marital status, etc. For 2021, for a single person supporting only themselves it's $12,550. Then the next $9,950 you make is taxed at 10%, then the next $30,575 is taxed at 12%, etc. (IRS table below).

They don't do the withholding out of your check like that though. That is, they don't take nothing out of your check until you hit $12,500 for the year, then 10% of the next $9,950, then 12% out of the next $30,575, etc. Instead they try to even it out for you; they calculate how much you'll make for the year, figure out what the taxes on that will be, average it out (the accounting term is the "effective tax rate") and take that out of your check.

If you work overtime, or for any reason make more for a week, they withhold as if you were going to be making that much every week. The way the math works out, if your checks are not all the same, they wind up taking out more than you're going to owe. So when you file your tax return, you look at what you made for the year, normally you'll see they kept more than you owed, and you get a tax refund. No, they don't pay you interest on what extra they held onto.

Single / Unmarried Individuals
Taxable IncomeTax Rate
$0 to $9,95010%
$9,950 – $40,525$995 + 12% of the amount over $9,950
$40,525 – $86,375$4,664 + 22% of the amount over $40,525
$86,376 – $164,925$14,751 + 24% of the amount over $86,375
$164,926 – $209,425$33,603 + 32% of the amount over $164,925
$209,426 – $523,600$47,843 + 35% of the amount over $209,425
$523,601 or more$157,804.25 + 37% of the amount over $523,600

·
Registered
461 Posts
It kinda does happen when you jump tax brackets. If you was set up for a 40k year as a single person and you started to add overtime that's going to push you to say 60k then its noticeable as you jumped from 12% to 22%. next jump at 86k is not so noticeable as its only 2%.
Ya I mean if it jumps you up a tax bracket it is what it is. But the good thing about OT is that’s more money going into your retirement at a younger age which allows you to make more interest/dividends. In my local when you are out n 1.5 and double time your benefits get paid in at that premium of 1.5 and double too. Plus for me I’m hittin the 164-209 between me and my wife bracket anyway so there’s plenty of wiggle room there .

·
Premium Member
19,625 Posts
Are they enforcing mask mandates on these type of jobs?
I have been wearing a mask in public. The results, no upper respiratory infections or colds so far this year. Also, my daughter is a teacher, this year, no getting sick the first month of school. Unhead of. The mask mandate for us ended Friday. In still wearing mine.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts