Electrician Talk banner
61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
36th year apprentice & Floor Sweeper
1,624 Posts
If I ever work a lot of overtime for a few weeks, I call the office and set a fixed amount of money to be taken out for taxes. I’m not interested in working a lot of OT to have the government hold my money until April.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have been wearing a mask in public. The results, no upper respiratory infections or colds so far this year. Also, my daughter is a teacher, this year, no getting sick the first month of school. Unhead of.
I think this is an important statement. Basic rules of hygiene are still relevant and i really hope that if the majority learns one thing from the covid, it's that some things go beyond political affiliation. I remember lots of guys i worked with at the time were laughing at the news clips of Chinese people wearing masks-i believe that was the avian flu. Masks work though. Throughout my life I've had to wear so many different things for varying amounts of time. Really, the most uncomfortable was the pistol belt. Wearing a mask doesn't really bother me and it's nothing compared to a tower climb setup, or firefighting ensemble with scba.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Can anyone here give me any insights into working at McMurdo as an electrician? From what I understand it's a 10hr 6 days a week gig that pays $1500 a week to where you can contract for 3mo-6mo?

Obviously I'd probably want to get deployed there for 3mo during the summer my first time, but what's the work intensity like? Is this the type of job only for a 20 yr old bull? Not that I'm super old but certainly the younger bros I can barely keep up with! I'd imagine there's a mix of all sorts of electrical work needing to be done from changing out old switch gear to light remodel stuff, no?

Also, how stringent is the dental and physical exam? My only real physical ailment is my carpal tunnel and I'm missing a few teeth, no cavities though.

Other than that it seems like it would be a chance to make some good money and getting to visit a place very few have visited.
Let me know if one can work from home.

·
Chief Flunky
Field Service Engineer
2,545 Posts
Can anyone here give me any insights into working at McMurdo as an electrician? From what I understand it's a 10hr 6 days a week gig that pays $1500 a week to where you can contract for 3mo-6mo?

Obviously I'd probably want to get deployed there for 3mo during the summer my first time, but what's the work intensity like? Is this the type of job only for a 20 yr old bull? Not that I'm super old but certainly the younger bros I can barely keep up with! I'd imagine there's a mix of all sorts of electrical work needing to be done from changing out old switch gear to light remodel stuff, no?

Also, how stringent is the dental and physical exam? My only real physical ailment is my carpal tunnel and I'm missing a few teeth, no cavities though.

Other than that it seems like it would be a chance to make some good money and getting to visit a place very few have visited.
I got the info packets and such for the Antarctic US base as a service tech 6 years ago. At that time it’s full room and board m, food, clothing, everything essentially. I think it was 2 weeks training plus the year duty so it’s technically expat pay so tax free and it was roughly $100k annual pay. I would do it in a heart bear if I had no kids. It’s through a contractor.

61 - 64 of 64 Posts