Electrician Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I went to estimate a job today and I found this. There is an electrical panel directly behind this meter base that feeds a small panel for a shop, which is where all this stuff is located. The house is located about 75 feet from here down a hill and is a separate structure. I was thinking the piping coming out of the bottom of the meter base probably goes to the house and that looks like a CT can to me on the left of the meter base. Both of the meters are fed from overhead, from one service drop. Anyone care to help me make more sense of this or perhaps give me an idea of how better to approach this type of thing? I am not planning on doing any work on the service if I do not have to but there is a slight possibility that I might have to replace the electrical panel behind the meter base and that would mean I might have to dig into what we have here! See attachment.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
I have a 37" TV as my monitor, and I still can't see the whole picture. Think you could shrink it down a bit so we could get a better visual of what you are talking about?

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
Thank you for making the pics smaller, OP. I don't think you have a CT can there, since the 100A meter socket on the left is fed from that enclosure to the left, and the 200A meter can on the right is fed from overhead. Very perplexing setup. Did you take any pictures of the riser? Plus, I've worked on services of over 1000A, and the CT cabinet still wasn't that big, plus there isn't a POCO seal on it. Kinda curious what is hiding in that cabinet.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The 100 amp meter socket is actually fed from overhead. There is a service drop above all of this, through the roof, and it is connected to both meter sockets. (i.e. There are two risers and weather heads above that are not in the picture. One riser, or mast, coming from each meter base.) - There is a label on the 100 amp meter socket stating "Grinder Pump". The 200 amp meter says house service, or something like that.) I am thinking that the panel which I may be concerned about, which is directly behind the 200 amp meter base, is probably fed from the 200 amp meter base itself. I have just never seen a 200 amp meter feed more than one panel. Is that legal? I guess I don't see why not if it was made that way. I would like to know because I may have to alter it if I have to replace that panel. - I was originally called to clean up their shop wiring. (It's a mess.) This is where this equipment is located.

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
The 100 amp meter socket is actually fed from overhead. There is a service drop above all of this, through the roof, and it is connected to both meter sockets. (i.e. There are two risers and weather heads above that are not in the picture.) - There is a label on the 100 amp meter socket stating "Grinder Pump". The 200 amp meter says house service or something like that.)
Soooooo, what are you supposed to bid on? I am very perplexed now. You, sire, have my attention.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I am bidding on removing some wiring which you cannot see, just basic plugs, etc. a bunch of home owner, or handy man, installed hackwork, and possibly the panel for this shop. He wants new lighting and plugs put in, a new heater, and some landscape lighting. - Someone damaged the cover on the existing panel and I want to prepare myself in case I have to change it. (Hopefully I will not have to change the panel but it would be a good idea to prepare myself if the inspector will not let me repair the damage.)

·
ET rocks
2,875 Posts
Meter on the right is the house service and you have unfused service conductors going underground all the way to the house panel 75' away (seen this done is Texas also.). The meter on the left is the service for the shop. The shop panel is back to back with this meter, and they may have just used the meter can as a raceway for the circuits coming back into the huge box which contains the controls for the grinder pump or turd shredder. They use these grinder pumps when a conventional septic install is not possible.

Don't overthink it. When you pull some covers off, i bet it will be a simple setup.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The panel in the shop is back to back with the 200A meter. The neutrals and grounds are not separated in the shop panel which makes me think it's not installed as a subpanel. (I know this doesn't necessarily mean it isn't coming from somewhere else, (or that it is not a sub panel), but I really do believe, from all that is there, that it is, most likely, connected to the 200 A meter base. - I measured and I am sure the panel in the shop is behind the larger meter base, unless they buried an LB in the wall that I cannot see. (The wiring for the panel in the shop is coming into the back of the panel can and that is located directly behind the 200 A meter base.)

·
ET rocks
2,875 Posts
OK then, i change my answer. The meter on the left is for the grinder pump only, because it needs to be metered separately for some reason. You'll find the controls in the big box. The 200A meter may have double lugs on the load side and be feeding the shop panel back to back, and underground to the house.

Post # 5. Yes, a meter can feed more than one panel.

Jump in here commando.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
That gives me a better idea of what is probably going on and that seems to make sense. - Thanks.:thumbsup: I appreciate your answers, 3xdad and commando!

·
corn-fused
4,769 Posts
the meter on the left could a private sud-meter for the house! there are other pos:whistling2:sibilities here

·
ET rocks
2,875 Posts
the meter on the left could a private sud-meter for the house! there are other pos:whistling2:sibilities here
i thought so too, except that paul said line for that meter is supplied by poco.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts