Electrician Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
E 1 Electrician
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I installed this over 10 years ago. It gets the job done. But If the cover is off, both breakers can be turned on at the same time. I’m going to change it, but was wondering how the newer ones actually keep you from turning both breakers on with the panel cover off.

·
Registered
industrial E,I&C
2,822 Posts
Is the generator hardwired or is there a receptacle that it plugs into?.
Does the receptacle have a cover?

If so then a simple label stating that the generator must be un-plugged before panel cover is removed would reduce the risk if someone accidentally turned both on.

·
Registered
E 1 Electrician
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is the generator hardwired or is there a receptacle that it plugs into?.
Does the receptacle have a cover?

If so then a simple label stating that the generator must be un-plugged before panel cover is removed would reduce the risk if someone accidentally turned both on.
Yes, plugged in portable generator. I was asking because a coworker said they’ve changed since I installed mine. He said now even with the cover removed it’s not possible to have both on.
I told him, that’s bull ****.
Lol

·
Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
924 Posts
This was touched on several months ago. Several factors come into play. 1. Panel manufacturers direction and listing. Can you use aftermarket stuff attached to their panel. Many times the answer is no. 2. Check out the wording of the code section for optional stand by systems. It says the interlock must remain effective in any operating condition of the equipment. Or something to that effect. Does that mean if the cover is off? There are interlocks that fasten directly to the Main circuit breaker..
You can buy a panel with the interlock installed at the factory and is listed that way. Newer panels have factory marked holes for their own kits. This way you do not rely on templets that could be placed wrong.

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
1,756 Posts
What happens if you remove the cover and the interlock? You could turn both breakers on then also.

Seriously. The interlocks are approved if installed as per the instructions. Do you think those granting the approval didn't think about the cover being removed?

·
Registered
E 1 Electrician
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My question was basically, are there any made to function with the cover off? It was an argument with a co-worker

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
1,756 Posts
You can get this type for a subpanel from Square D. Works with the cover off.

Part # for the interlock only is QO2DTI

Reactions: splatz

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
1,756 Posts
Sorry! ;)

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
7,369 Posts
Since the cover is to be removed only by 'qualified' persons, It'd be reasonable that the 'qualified' person would know not to turn both on at the same time.

On the other hand, reasonable and legal are often two different things..........

·
Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
924 Posts
Since the cover is to be removed only by 'qualified' persons, It'd be reasonable that the 'qualified' person would know not to turn both on at the same time.

On the other hand, reasonable and legal are often two different things..........
I always like the term," Qualified ". We all know what it suppose to mean but in reality it has a wide interpretation.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts