Electrician Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have customer who built a house in BFE and he wants inter-webs. The place is on solar/generator with no POCO or twisted pair of coax or fiber to the prim. He does have decent cellular through the American telegraph and telephone company. Any ideas on how to get him some interwebs?

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Satellite or a mobile hot spot

I have had customers use Hugesnet in the past for remote locations and it's been slow and quirky. WiFi Hotspot was my thinking, but the place is a large campus Tuscan villa. This is probably only 3,500 sq feet but the structures cover about twice that. I need something with a Ethernet connection so I can attach a switch and additional WiFi nodes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
you can get a wifi hotspot device that can come out cat5 and than you can connect a router to it etc (there may be even a router that can do it) and than uses switches like normal to share it. depending on the wifi speed they couldnt even tell the dif really.

·
Pool Shark
472 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
The newer HughesNet systems are better than the older systems, that were quirky and slow.... but all sat systems will have heavy weather issues. IF the installer is any good Hughes is a fairly fast system, it depends somewhat on the aiming of the dish.

·
Ambassador of Amps
9,516 Posts
I have customer who built a house in BFE and he wants inter-webs. The place is on solar/generator with no POCO or twisted pair of coax or fiber to the prim. He does have decent cellular through the American telegraph and telephone company. Any ideas on how to get him some interwebs?
Root his phone, and wifi tether from that to laptop.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The best deal going for heavy use seems to be a service called Millenicom, that uses the Verizon network, otherwise they can ding you pretty bad for overages. The cell companies seem to hate primary tethering on their networks. You have to check to see if they have good signal where you are. Since I work in the field, my choices would be WISP first, cellular based second, and satellite a far distant third.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.