Electrician Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have an interview question for everyone that I was hoping to get an answer for. Recently during an interview I was asked "You fall down a cliff. On the way down there are two rods to grab onto. One is energized with AC current, the other with DC. Which do you grab"? Can anyone tell me the correct way to answer this?

·
Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
1,442 Posts
Kind of a bogus question. DC is my guess. The AC system could be grounded so you might feel a shock if you touch the side of the cliff.

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
2,500 Posts
I would answer :Dumbest question evar! .

But only if I felt confident about the rest of the questions.....:D

·
Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
7,490 Posts
My answer ....

Although DC bites harder than AC, the AC is referenced to ground so I would get a shock. The DC is referenced back to the negative and likely not grounded, so I wouldn't get a shock.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Neither unless you can prove they are not energized. Guarantee of isolation.

Tim

·
Premium Member
Working With the Tools
1,114 Posts
Hello. I have an interview question for everyone that I was hoping to get an answer for. Recently during an interview I was asked "You fall down a cliff. On the way down there are two rods to grab onto. One is energized with AC current, the other with DC. Which do you grab"? Can anyone tell me the correct way to answer this?
ANSWER: Before I got to the rods I slipped on my Class 0 gloves and then grabbed them both. Then I pulled the DC rod over and shorted out the AC rod. (Be sure to pray that AC rod is not hooked to a FPE breaker!)

·
Registered
C-10 Electrical Contractor
43 Posts
Idk....but on the way down you're fired. If you live, you're eligible for rehire

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
2,500 Posts
My answer ....

Although DC bites harder than AC, the AC is referenced to ground so I would get a shock. The DC is referenced back to the negative and likely not grounded, so I wouldn't get a shock.
Most telco DC is positive grounded. So as you fell you'd have to ask yourself:

Do I feel lucky?

Welll, do yah,... nut?

Reactions: 5kv flash

·
Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
7,490 Posts
Most telco DC is positive grounded. So as you fell you'd have to ask yourself:

Do I feel lucky?

Welll, do yah,... nut?
Well, I just fell off a cliff .... how much bad luck can I get in one day o_O

·
Registered
36th year apprentice & Floor Sweeper
1,407 Posts
It’s a trick question. The only rod you grab is the one in the bosses pants. Everybody knows that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts