Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I'm a new member. I just took the aptitude test last Friday. I'm unsure of my results at the moment so I don't even know if I'll be getting an interview yet or not. The algebra portion was harder than the practice questions led on. My question though is, if I do get an interview will my overall rank be based on the combination of test and interview or just the interview?

·
Super Moderator
21,937 Posts
I don't know the answer to your question but I can welcome you to the forum. :thumbsup:

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,624 Posts
Hey everyone I'm a new member. I just took the aptitude test last Friday. I'm unsure of my results at the moment so I don't even know if I'll be getting an interview yet or not. The algebra portion was harder than the practice questions led on. My question though is, if I do get an interview will my overall rank be based on the combination of test and interview or just the interview?
Welcome to the forum....:thumbup::thumbup:

I dunno but i wish the best of luck..................:thumbsup:

·
Registered
838 Posts
Is this for a union apprenticeship program (JATC)? If so, here's what I was told when I went through the process.
After applying, you take the aptitude test. If you score within their range, you'll be called back for an interview. You get a score based on both which goes on a master list of everyone that has done the same, whether they took the test/interview at the same time you did, or a year ago. When it comes time for a new class to start, they take X amount of people (depending on their demand, etc) from the master list to fill the class. Hope this helps and good luck to you!

Krystal (who's enjoying her 2nd year in the program)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input everyone. I have an interview for the inside wireman position February 8th. I also applied for data communications, but they're not sure when the interviews will be for that. Can anyone give me an idea of what the interview questions will be like? They told me interviews last about 20 minutes.

·
Registered
297 Posts
scooter11 said:
Thanks for the input everyone. I have an interview for the inside wireman position February 8th. I also applied for data communications, but they're not sure when the interviews will be for that. Can anyone give me an idea of what the interview questions will be like? They told me interviews last about 20 minutes.
Yeah, it probably varies but they ask you about yourself a little, also why they should put you in the program and... Hmmm... It could be anything! Good luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just got into the jatc inside program and I'm sure that with the test is pass or fail. They don't even give you any results. All that matters is the interview. They want to make sure that you are willing to do all the grunt work (clean up the conex, move conduit, crawl in dark small dirty tunnles, dig for weeks on end, ext.) And that you are willing to travel anywhere for work and if your faced with a problem you dont panic or come up with some crazy off the wall soulution that could put you in danger. If they ask you where you see yourself in 10 years don't say in your apprenticship program (my brother did this) because its only a five year program.
Welcome to the site, welcome to the trade and if your joining the jatc, welcome to the ibew future brother

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So my interview is tomorrow and I was wandering if it's okay to go in with a clean, trimmed beard or should I just go in clean shaven? I just want to cover all my bases.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also would a jacket less suit be alright for the interview. I'm already pretty nervous about this lol.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Some people will say to dress up decent.

I look at it differently. I would expect a candidate to dress appropriate to the position. What if the last question is can you start NOW?

·
Registered
297 Posts
knowshorts said:
Some people will say to dress up decent.

I look at it differently. I would expect a candidate to dress appropriate to the position. What if the last question is can you start NOW?
I treated it like a job interview- wore something dignified but also not over the top. Nice pants and a nice top.. No high heels!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I had my interview last night. I wore a jacket-less suit for attire. I was never really nervous till I walked in room with about 10-15 people and they sat me at a little table away from the board like an outcast. With one guy at the end starring at me. Probably checking posture, reaction and composure. Then the questions began which totaled around 10+ questions. Some asked several and a few didn't say anything. I honestly didn't feel like it went the best but a little bird said it went well.

·
Registered
297 Posts
scooter11 said:
Well I had my interview last night. I wore a jacket-less suit for attire. I was never really nervous till I walked in room with about 10-15 people and they sat me at a little table away from the board like an outcast. With one guy at the end starring at me. Probably checking posture, reaction and composure. Then the questions began which totaled around 10+ questions. Some asked several and a few didn't say anything. I honestly didn't feel like it went the best but a little bird said it went well.
Nice. I bet you're glad it's over! I remember feeling very confident when I was done. I also remember locking eye contact with everyone who asked questions... It was definitely nerve wracking when I waited to get my ranking ;). Keep us posted.

·
Registered
16 Posts
scooter11 said:
Do you remember what questions were asked??

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Why do you want to be an electrician? What do you do for fun? When was a time you performed first aid? What makes you a better candidate? What do you have to say about you grades on you transcript and what would you do to improve it? And there was more that I can't remember.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yup, sounds like my interview. I also got asked what was the most physically demanding job I had ever done. I kinda wonder if that one was triggered by my thin arms :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts