Electrician Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys/girls (are there girls here?)

I'm from Toronto and looking to begin the journey of becoming an electrician. Most recently I've been doing housing renovations, kitchen installation and various other contracting work.
I've always been interested in the profession and believe it's something that I can see myself doing down the road.

I've been looking into various trade schools in the Toronto/GTA area and was wondering if any users had recommendations to get started. I know some offer work placement which is something I'm very interested in.

Also if anyone has any input on the steps I should take, I would appreciate it. Thanks for your time and I hope to learn a lot from this site,

Cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome!

Are you an electrical apprentice right now?
No.

I was more or less getting an idea of what process I should take to help myself land an apprenticeship. I was looking up the local union based apprenticeship and they seem to require grade 12 uni prep math and physics courses, is this the norm for all apprenticeships? Do companies or independent electricians take on apprentices with little experience and do classes after?

I was under the impression that some classes help place you in an apprenticeship, not a situation where the applicants were cold calling different companies for work.

Thanks ..

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
I think schools try to deceive prospective students into believing they will be "placed" into apprenticeships upon completion. Read some old threads on here and you'll discover it's nothing like that.

The usual story is some poor sap pays a bunch of money to go to school for a year in a "pre-apprenticeship" type program.. they finish, have no job, can't find a job, and finally pack their crap into a car and go to Alberta.

Basically after 1 year and a bunch of money, you're not much farther ahead, and technically fair behind, had you just spent that year jumping straight into electrical work.

·
Estwing magic
27,556 Posts
Probably, but do your research first. There are starters looking for jobs who live in Alberta already. There was some poor sap who posted on here once. He traveled half way across the country to Ft. McMurray with no experience expecting to find something immediately and the cost of living killed him really fast. That's just dumb.

There was a company in Edmonton at one time, Wirtanen Electric, who held a pre-apprenticeship course as a benevolent return to the industry. One of their requirements for students was that they had to have an employment history of doing manual labour. That could have been landscaping, construction labourer, etc. The combination of pre-apprenticeship training and manual labour experience increased the chances of getting a starter job but there were no guarantees.

I don't know what you are doing right now but the best thing is to be working at something in construction or maintenance. That probably means labourer work. Try to take some courses related to work in the trades. Some provinces offer construction safety training (CSTS) but I don't know if Ontario does. Maybe they have something similar. You could also take a night course in basic electricity at a college. Take classes, not on-line courses. Courses where you have to attend class show more commitment.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
I feel like a broken record saying this every time someone from Ontario posts about starting in the trade but I would leave the province altogether and move west. If I could go back in time I would have done it when I was 20. Ontario is a great place to be if you want to apply for 150 jobs in the trade before you get an interview for one, then have no job security and crap pay.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi 99 cents or Flunker and others,

I'm a college grad. 3 years, I took Motors and Controls, AC & DC electrical,
PLC, electronics , programming and more.

I worked as a Machine technician for over 11 years. I replaced Motors, power supplies, fixed conveyors, Install new machines.

I worked as a Bldg. superintendent for 1 year. I fixed appliances, carpentry repairs, plumbing, replaced AC receptacles, Chandeliers, Electrical switches

I worked 1 year as a painter

Never registered as an apprentice

Can I write the exam for electrician license?

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you're not running work by the time you turn out and you don't want to have a bad back then find something else to do.. I don't get how people are crying about what they did to their bodies when they probably go home and drink beer every night.. if you work out and keep in shape you shouldn't break down from what we do on a day to day basis... :thumbup:

·
Registered
207 Posts
eds32 said:
Hey guys/girls (are there girls here?) I'm from Toronto and looking to begin the journey of becoming an electrician. Most recently I've been doing housing renovations, kitchen installation and various other contracting work. I've always been interested in the profession and believe it's something that I can see myself doing down the road. I've been looking into various trade schools in the Toronto/GTA area and was wondering if any users had recommendations to get started. I know some offer work placement which is something I'm very interested in. Also if anyone has any input on the steps I should take, I would appreciate it. Thanks for your time and I hope to learn a lot from this site, Cheers
Here is some good info....this is who I went thru...been an IBEW local 353'member for 17 years and making good money working in one of many towers going up in downtown t.o...(85 grand a year...not including benefits and pension and rrsp) http://www.ibew353.org/ an also
Joint Apprenticeship Council
www.electricalapprenticeship.ca/

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here is some good info....this is who I went thru...been an IBEW local 353'member for 17 years and making good money working in one of many towers going up in downtown t.o...(85 grand a year...not including benefits and pension and rrsp) http://www.ibew353.org/ an also
Joint Apprenticeship Council
www.electricalapprenticeship.ca/
Thanks Sparky, I appreciate your input.

I had been lurking the JAC site , they seem to have a pretty intense selection process. Is this what you went through before being accepted to IBEW?

After I do some research I'd love to pick your brain about this more if you have some free time.. thanks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.