Electrician Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to design my invoices and had some questions. Do you guys use the same invoice for estimates, billing, and service calls? Also do you get a signature for approval before beginning the work? I plan on offering paper and/or pdf copies to the customer. Is there any difference between an invoice and a work order? Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am getting ready to design my invoices and had some questions. Do you guys use the same invoice for estimates, billing, and service calls? Also do you get a signature for approval before beginning the work? I plan on offering paper and/or pdf copies to the customer. Is there any difference between an invoice and a work order? Thanks.
Yes you get a signature of approval before starting, along with 50% up front. What would be the sense in starting the job without a signed contract?

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
33,826 Posts
Any computer generated invoicing system should contain the following-

Non user modifiable time/date stamp and non modifiable serial number generator (usually reflected in the invoice number, but not always).
Both functions generate on commit. Invoices all get stored in a single table.

You won't get any of that using an Excel or other spreadsheet based system.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Why don't you look at these and get an idea.

Work form

Your services probably won't be like others so here's a boat load to look at.

Another place you can get some ideas www.nebs.com.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I have been looking at different templates for Open Office. Most seem to have more info than I need, trying to narrow things down. I plan to show a work description with a total price only, no break down and no hourly rate etc.

Thinking out loud here:

Estimate form to make the sale.
Sale accepted, generate computer work order. I am looking into Freshbooks.
Print hard copy and get customer signature. Give them their copy, hard/email.
Schedule a start date etc. Collect 50% at this time.

It look like Freshbooks can do all of the above, with a tablet and a truck printer.
Until I reach that point, would it be best to have 1 invoice form and consider it an estimate, until I receive a proceed signature at which then it becomes a work order? Say I do it the manual way for a while, would it be best to input all of the manual work orders into Freshbooks when I get everything ready. Or say screw it and go paperless from the beginning?

·
Ambassador of Amps
9,518 Posts
Thanks guys. I have been looking at different templates for Open Office. Most seem to have more info than I need, trying to narrow things down. I plan to show a work description with a total price only, no break down and no hourly rate etc.

Thinking out loud here:

Estimate form to make the sale.
Sale accepted, generate computer work order. I am looking into Freshbooks.
Print hard copy and get customer signature. Give them their copy, hard/email.
Schedule a start date etc. Collect 50% at this time.

It look like Freshbooks can do all of the above, with a tablet and a truck printer.
Until I reach that point, would it be best to have 1 invoice form and consider it an estimate, until I receive a proceed signature at which then it becomes a work order? Say I do it the manual way for a while, would it be best to input all of the manual work orders into Freshbooks when I get everything ready. Or say screw it and go paperless from the beginning?
You can not collect 50% down in CA. 10% or $1000, whichever is lower.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
knowledge29 said:
Is there an invoice program that allows customer to sign right from tablet in order to authorize the work?
Invoice2go and freshbooks both offer this option. I use invoice2go and get the customers signature on the spot to approve the estimate. I do the work, copy the estimate to an invoice and get their signature and payment at completion.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I just use invoice 2 go with the sign 2 go addition. I hear that fresh books and some others are more involved with pictures and such to make FR books but I haven't checked them out. I've been usuing it for over 3 years and since am pretty paperless. Make and estimate/proposal get it signed to start then convert it to an invoice collect payment and get another signature.
My only issue is the estimate/proposal only allows one line for job address. So if you have a billing address and a separate job address I just stick the street info under the billing info. on one line.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Invoice2go and freshbooks both offer this option. I use invoice2go and get the customers signature on the spot to approve the estimate. I do the work, copy the estimate to an invoice and get their signature and payment at completion.
How simple is the estimate part? Do you input your own values? Does it have pre designed templates,or do you make your own? Does it create and track invoice numbers? Are you 100% paper free? Sounds like a smooth way to go. Do you print or email the invoices more often for the customers?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts