Electrician Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are they worth the investment? I have never used one so I would also have to invest time and money in training.
Are these cameras for company's that specialize in that type of work or are they for everyday electricians?

thanks for everyone's opinions

·
Registered
32,968 Posts
Depends what type of work you do and/or want to do.

The market for doing building electrical distribution scans is getting flooded, most of the newbies can't be bothered to get training, they buy a low end camera and run and shoot.

The market is tougher than it use to be, I have been doing IR for 33 or34 years, use to be we had to sell on the advantages of regular IR Scans, now we have to sell on the advantages of IR Scans and training and high quality equipment and ........

The market is there and it is just as tough to convince people to part with their dollar especially as other EC's take the IR profitability race to the bottom

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Same story here, we stopped doing them since yahoos with low end cameras and no training are doing surveys at bottom feeder prices. We do install a lot of IR windows though.

Reactions: Rollie73

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
I have to agree with Brian on this one.

We seem to never get calls for IR scans anymore unless it is with a regular customer. It seems that every sparky in town now owns a cheap camera and is using it to scare customers into getting work done.......even though said sparky has never had a second of training on how to properly interpert the images on the screen.

·
Registered
32,968 Posts
Same story here, we stopped doing them since yahoos with low end cameras and no training are doing surveys at bottom feeder prices. We do install a lot of IR windows though.
We find we are losing these jobs as well as we might recommend 3 or 4 (large dry type transformers for example) windows on some equipment where our competition installs one window.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I respect and appreciate the work you guys do, but if someone wants to look for hotspots why do they need to call in a company specializing in IR work?

I'm not trying to minimize your business in the least, but it seems very possible to scan a panel and judge potential problems by the temperature difference in the images, even if the actual temperature is off.

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
I respect and appreciate the work you guys do, but if someone wants to look for hotspots why do they need to call in a company specializing in IR work?

I'm not trying to minimize your business in the least, but it seems very possible to scan a panel and judge potential problems by the temperature difference in the images, even if the actual temperature is off.

It is possible to do.
My issue is the fact that most....if not all, of these guys dont know the difference between a warm spot from high current draw and a HOT spot from a loose connection of a faulty breaker. Just one example.

Combine that with the fact that they are using the scan as scare tactic/ loss leader just to get in the door and charge stupid prices for unnessecary work and I have an issue with those yahoos.

·
Registered
32,968 Posts

I have no problem with that. It is the EC's (as noted above) that are racing to the bottom of the market.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my area is very rural and definatly not flooded with contractors offering the service.
I have no intentions of purchasing a high end camera and making this my business niche. I would like to spend around $1500 on a camera, take a 2 day class on how to use it. Doing this I would like to be able to use it to help trouble shoot, and possible do some preventive maintenance for a few costumers.
Is this realistic?
I am a young contractor who wants to continue gaining skills and learning new things. If the cameras are not realistic option I have plenty to learn in other areas:laughing:

·
Registered
32,968 Posts
my area is very rural and definatly not flooded with contractors offering the service.
I have no intentions of purchasing a high end camera and making this my business niche. I would like to spend around $1500 on a camera, take a 2 day class on how to use it. Doing this I would like to be able to use it to help trouble shoot, and possible do some preventive maintenance for a few costumers.
Is this realistic?
I am a young contractor who wants to continue gaining skills and learning new things. If the cameras are not realistic option I have plenty to learn in other areas:laughing:
I'd say go for it.

Our cameras current cameras ran us about 32,000.00 each, the newer cameras we are looking at are in the 22k range.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.