Electrician Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a weird issue.

We installed 5 in ground well light fixtures. Vista 150w max rated 120v fixtures.

The problem being is the lamps are all burning out quickly within a couple months of install i have had 5 go out. 2 originals are still working. These lights are on a photo controlled circuit, I am getting 120v exactly to the lamp sockets.

Weird part is that when i go check the lights. They will not be on, then i bump the fixture and they will flash on for a split second and then die. I have seen this on 3 of them, and my coworker on another.

I have 3 different lamps brands do this, all Par 38 70 watt, (eco or energy saver halogens these new lamps that are supposed to be equivalent to the now banned 90 watt regular halogens) Also all fixtures are properly sealed no dirt or water has gotten in.

USHIO
Fiet electric
Phillips

I cannot find any documentation stating that they are/are not ok for sealed fixture use.

So I'm just scratching my head. If any of you have any insight into this I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Photo control does operate a contactor.

However, seems there are variations on the new Halogen lamps...

Eco, or Energy saver halogens with a much shorter rated life span ~ 1000 hours.
and IR halogens which have a life of ~ 4000 hours.

I think I found some LED par38 floods, that are rated for enclosed fixtures that I am going to use instead however.

·
Yeah your gonna get wet !
90 Posts
I have seen this many times. It is the lack of contact at the bottom of the bulb. You need to bend the tab in the socket up for better contact to the bottom of the bulb. When you bumped the bulb you cause an ark. The length of the base of the bulbs varies from manufactures. One will be a little longer than the others. I would pull the tabs up on all of them when changing bulbs.

There is a lot of moisture inside the fixtures even if they are waterproof.(condensation).It would be wise to put dielectric grease in the socket and bulb. If you don’t use it the bulbs and sockets like to fuse together over time.
Good Luck

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Try self ballasting mercury vapor par 38 or led par 38s.

Sent from my C5215 using electriciantalk.com mobile app

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.