Electrician Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sounds simple, but I figured it would get attention.
I have an engineer who drew up a building with a local lighting circuit for the switched fixtures and a dedicated circuit for the emergency and exit lighting. When I said it did not meet 700.12(F), he said the installation does not fall under 700.12(F) because the fixtures with bodines installed are night lights and therefore are not Unit Equipment.

Opinions?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I would say that it may not meet the letter of the code, but probably meets the intent to provide egress lighting in an emergency.

If the engineer is a P.E., then he has some latitude in determining how to meet the intent of the code and can do it in ways other than those prescribed in the code. If the plans and specs have been approved by the AHJ, they are legal to build as is.

You might want ask the engineer to explain his reasoning, to increase your knowledge. Don't be confrontational. Just ask him to explain it so you can learn from.

·
Registered
122 Posts
We use a ton of Bodines as emergency lighting. That's what they're designed for, no?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's what I've dug out so far.
I'm not sure which brand/model battery pack are installed as the lighting manufacturer only lists generic part options on their website, but if you ask google if a bodine is unit equipment, you get a lot of bodine literature that says yes. So I think 700 applies.
The AHJ says they defer to NFPA 101 for when emergency lighting is required, and I can't see any way this building doesn't fall into chapter 38. Occupancy is over 300, so emergency lighting is required, so 700 applies.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Sounds simple, but I figured it would get attention.
I have an engineer who drew up a building with a local lighting circuit for the switched fixtures and a dedicated circuit for the emergency and exit lighting. When I said it did not meet 700.12(F), he said the installation does not fall under 700.12(F) because the fixtures with bodines installed are night lights and therefore are not Unit Equipment.

Opinions?
I see no problem with the use of Bodines as an emergency light. The potential problem I see is the separate circuit for the emergency/exit lights. According to code the only time you can have a dedicated circuit for emergency/exit lights is when there are 3 or more local lighting circuits.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.