Electrician Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
2,231 Posts
I would like to obtain more information about working in the U.S as a licensed electrician from Canada.
Unless you have some special skills that are sought after in the US, it's not quite that easy. At least, that's been my experience.

If you venture down there, ship your tools separately. At least, that the way I've been told it's done..... :p

Reactions: Kevin

·
Registered
319 Posts
My info is a bit dated.... but I'll share

During my apprenticeship I worked with a foreman-type or two that left to the US to work. I believe they went right into project management, not working the tools per se. Basically they had a job secured before they left.

The other reference I have was more tech-sector related. If you had a diploma, degree, etc you could a get a green card on the basis your skills were not available domestically in the US, so outsourcing was allowed. Now, some tradeschools issue a diploma (mine did), but not all - and I don't know if/how a trades diploma works the same.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
7,997 Posts
Geez you Canuks want our jobs, our work, our lower prices, run your pipelines right across our country. I'm getting more than a little fed of with Canada just walking all over the US.

·
Light Bender
plumber
6,326 Posts
I have worked with many who worked in the US. Most were through the union where there was a call that needed men. There is a job right now in Pennsylvania that a few of our members went down to work at.
@LGLS not sure why this happens so often considering there are so many people in the US to choose from, but it happens often that jobs call us looking for us Red Seal licensed Canadians to come down there and save the day for you guys 😉

·
Electrical Contractor
Trying to retire or at least slow down a bit, but life not cooperating
4,765 Posts
Geez you Canuks want our jobs, our work, our lower prices, run your pipelines right across our country. I'm getting more than a little fed of with Canada just walking all over the US.
The pipelines are for you to use our oil.
However you can keep your beer :giggle:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe we are just competitive, qualified, and interested in working. I believe in the capitalist system.

·
Registered
7,997 Posts
Come to think of it, aren't we letting you use 1/2 of our Niagara Falls too?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
It might be easier to come in from the southern border and just show up at a job site. The US is a great place but they need to be more friendly with Canada.

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
2,231 Posts
They keep telling us you will come after our water one day.

·
Electrical Contractor
Trying to retire or at least slow down a bit, but life not cooperating
4,765 Posts
They keep telling us you will come after our water one day.
I would sell them water.
in 357 ml plastic bottles!
Sell a value added product

·
Registered
151 Posts
Some bar in Clifton Hill...

Patron: I'll take a cold Coors Light

Bartender: "From the tap, or from the sack?"

Patron: I'll take it in the can, please.

Me: Yes, yes you will. Bottle for me!

·
Light Bender
plumber
6,326 Posts
coors light is the same as drinking water. Actually, water tastes better and has more alcohol than coors light lol.

And that pic was an April fools prank from a few years ago.

·
Premium Member
residential, commercial, and industrial
234 Posts
The pipelines are for you to use our oil.
However you can keep your beer :giggle:
Why are yall such nice people? Canada is my first choice to move to if the US gets any worse than it is (probably will)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts