Electrician Talk banner

Is bonding gas lines dangerous?

1736 Views 8 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  John R
I just heard the argument from some guy that it's stupid for the code to require bonding of gas lines. He claimed that bonding it would create the chance of an arc, which could ignite the gas and cause an explosion. The alternative would be a gas line that would remain energized if it contacted ungrounded conductor etc.

Has anyone heard this argument or does anyone agree with bonding of gas lines being a hazard?
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
Residential primarily these days, master electrician, control technician, CEO, head ditch Digger
284 Posts
I have heard it... gas code requires that there isn't a bond on the meter and electrical code is that it must be bonded. I heard the same thing about a static arc. Basically if it's grounded the electrician was the last guy in there, if it isn't the gas guy.

· Registered
89 Posts
John R retired electrician from Fed Gov

I have heard it... gas code requires that there isn't a bond on the meter and electrical code is that it must be bonded. I heard the same thing about a static arc. Basically if it's grounded the electrician was the last guy in there, if it isn't the gas guy.
2017 code states.(Not permitted for Use as grounding electrodes) Metal underground gas piping systems.

· Administrator
Retired EC
24,898 Posts
Has anyone heard this argument or does anyone agree with bonding of gas lines being a hazard?

IMO, if these people, who are arguing it safety, knew what the purpose of bonding is then they probably wouldn't be making that argument.

· Registered
Unemployed
4,951 Posts
My thoughts are someone would get hurt more often if it was ungrounded and became hot, then a wire hitting the pipe and arcing. It would have to have a leak to ignite because it would take a big arc to burn thru a iron pipe, now copper tubing for propane ????

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.