Electrician Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello. I am from British Columbia, Canada. I have been accepted into a 6 month training program to prepare me for an electrician apprenticeship, and I would really appreciate some advice before I pay my fees.

I have decided that my main goal in life is traveling, however I have found that working $10/hr plus being laid off half the time does not really get me anywhere fast. I had been interested in electrical engineering (even did the first year), but realized that I was going to get stuck with a company that only gave me 2 weeks vacation a year, and if I quit more than two companies no one would want to hire me anymore.
So I got it in my head that maybe electrician work could be a bit more flexible, but never actually found anyone to ask. Now I am willing to work anywhere, in any conditions, and for months at a time with no leave (ie northern Alberta), but I would like to set myself up so that once the job is done, I can go off and travel and find a new job when I run out of money. So i guess this would be considered contract work?

So, is this possible? Do I need a certain amount of experience before I am able to get into this rotation? And would this be best as a residential or industrial electrician?

Thanks for any replies.

[Edit] I mean only to work in Canada (Alberta and British Columbia.) Also I do not mean to only work a few months, I just want to find a good ratio of work to traveling.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Are you serious? I'll be serious. No, you will not be good in this trade.

1) Employers are looking for someone they can count on, just like in any other occupation.

2) Codes vary by state and by community in the US...pretty sure it's the same in Canada.

3) Mandatory licensing is required many places.

·
Scotchkote Installer
30,669 Posts
Good thing about having a trade is that you can always take it with you and nobody can ever take it away...

Learn as much as you can.. when ever you can and in the long run all that knowledge will make you more money....

Be a non smoker and have a clear cut appearance is just as important when going for job interviews.. good luck.. :thumbsup:

·
Senior Lurker
1,310 Posts
I do know a few guys that do refinery shut downs and find themselves all over the place when the job ends. Good money but tough hours too.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
A traveling job is different than changing jobs 4 times a year. Especially just starting out. He'll never advance to anything but a helper. He'll learn a little of this, a little of that, but never enough to become an electrician.

·
Senior Lurker
1,310 Posts
I'll add industrial may be better suited to a traveler. I cant see anyone investing in someone short term on the resi level. Most residential opportunities and I said most are with smaller companies rather then large scale industrial outfits employing people on many levels. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Oh I should clarify I mean to only work in Canada (Alberta and British Columbia.) Also I am talking about after my apprenticeship.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Probably because that's like making $5 an hour full time..:laughing:
Still managed to save up to go to Australia, just took me 9 months and now I am in the outback with only $150 to my name. Worth it of course. :thumbup:

·
Senior Lurker
1,310 Posts
Still managed to save up to go to Australia, just took me 9 months and now I am in the outback with only $150 to my name. Worth it of course. :thumbup:
Worth it? That sounds like an epic plan fail.

Its gonna cost you more then that to get home.:blink:

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
But I would like to set myself up so that once the job is done, I can go off and travel and find a new job when I run out of money.
:blink::blink::laughing:

Well,[Maybe] the schools up there are a little screwed up:eek:

!Tom:)The object of the game is work hard and NEVER! Run out of money.

When you run out of money then you must sell your stuff to get food.

When you run out of stuff to sell you'll be nude,and get arrested for being nude,then you'll go to prison where you will always get food but you'll never get to "travel" you'll be stuck there with huge weight lifting Men Who will want to see you Nude and enjoy beating you while nude too:eek:

So you might just want to avoid at all costs,,,,,,,,,"Running out of Money":)

·
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"
3,416 Posts
Oh I should clarify I mean to only work in Canada (Alberta and British Columbia.) Also I am talking about after my apprenticeship.
just get your ass to work and figure it
out for yourself. it's hard to keep track of all your preferences.
:no:
:no::no:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
just get your ass to work and figure it
out for yourself. it's hard to keep track of all your preferences.
:no:
:no::no:
I made that clarification as some people thought I was asking if electrician is good trade to work while traveling. I mean is electrician a good trade to work in the same place, then go off an go traveling, and still be able to get work when you come back.

All advice is greatly appreciated, but entirely optional if you don't want to help.

·
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"
3,416 Posts
go talk to your school counselor about working and traveling.
Electrical Trades hard work, we'd be happy to answer questions about your electrical training you're going to have to figure out the Traveling gig on your own.
:thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
:blink::blink::laughing:

Well,[Maybe] the schools up there are a little screwed up:eek:

!Tom:)The object of the game is work hard and NEVER! Run out of money.

When you run out of money then you must sell your stuff to get food.

When you run out of stuff to sell you'll be nude,and get arrested for being nude,then you'll go to prison where you will always get food but you'll never get to "travel" you'll be stuck there with huge weight lifting Men Who will want to see you Nude and enjoy beating you while nude too:eek:

So you might just want to avoid at all costs,,,,,,,,,"Running out of Money":)
Harry...............this may be answer of the month....top 5 running for year:laughing:

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
There are electricians who all they do is travel. It's totally possible.. and Canada does the Red Seal thing, which means the training and the electrical code is basically the same across the country, so you can work anywhere.

Now.. all that said, generally speaking this is not a trade that you travel in. Like others said, employers want reliable guys who stay put and don't even take vacation. :laughing: Having a resume jumping from place to place will catch up to you and eventually you'll stop getting jobs, unless you wind up travelling to the most remote godless bush country of Canada, where no other electricians will venture.

So if travelling is your dream.. honestly this is not the right career to take up. But again, if you want something bad enough, you'll get it.. and there are companies that want electricians to just travel around and install or repair junk.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Worth it? That sounds like an epic plan fail.

Its gonna cost you more then that to get home.:blink:
It's very easy to find work in Austrailia. I got a $20/hr labour job in 1 day, worked at it for a month, spent it all in Thailand, and bought a ticket right back to Aus to do it over again.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.