Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Joe Momma just PM'd me and said the site was slow for him. Everything is fine on my end and this site is on the same server as ContractorTalk.com so it should be pretty quick.

Anyways, I just want to make sure no one else is having this issue.
Please let me know if your having any trouble so I can work on it.

Thanks. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
20,983 Posts
Fast as anything, for me. He's made references to it screwing up in a couple of his posts, but I've never had an issue. I'm popping in and out very frequently. Must lie with his ISP. I might suggest he do a 'tracert' or a 'ping'.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I'll hold my judgement until I hear from one or two more people but it seems fast to me. The server we are on should be fairly quick (It should be considering what I pay).

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, if you see it responding slower than other sites either at home or at work let me know so I can check into it.

BTW, Lessburg VA. I'm from the Northern VA area. Grew up in Burke Center and in Reston. Lived in South Riding until late last year.

·
Registered
31,871 Posts
Nathan: Where in Texas did you relocate to and for a job or fololowing a woman (2 most common reasons to move in my expierence). Both worth the effort.

Loudoun County just turned down an additionally 32,000 house from Gilberts Corner to Rt 28. Thank goodness...Rt 50 has way too much traffic now.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nathan: Where in Texas did you relocate to and for a job or fololowing a woman (2 most common reasons to move in my expierence). Both worth the effort.

Loudoun County just turned down an additionally 32,000 house from Gilberts Corner to Rt 28. Thank goodness...Rt 50 has way too much traffic now.
We were just trying to find some cheaper housing and a slower pace of live. I've lived most of my life in that area and love it but it's just getting too crazy there to raise a family. I can get a house around here for about 1/3 of the cost.

Rt 50 is crazy. I always took Loudon County Parkway to 606 behind the airport to avoid it.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
No speed problems here in 'olde england' The site zips in and I only have a 1mb connection.
I am at the far end of the line too way up on the hillside. Must be a server problem. Think Joe said his connection was 8Mb. As they often say. More haste less speed!!!!!

Frank

·
Registered
31,871 Posts
Nathan:

My office is on 606 and 28 I take 621 in to 606 use to be there, now it is an additional 25 minute wait.

Who did you work for here?

I should have include a 3rd reason for replocating job, women, and quality of life. Some of my apprentices and younger electricians are spending 4 hours a day (2 hours one way). Not my idea of living..

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Who did you work for here?
I worked for Lennar Homes in Florida and moved back up to VA with them and worked in the Heritage Hunt subdivision off of 29 but that only lasted a few months. Those guys were so behind the times and backwards it drove me nuts.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ends up there was a problem with the site timing out and/or loading slowly.

I think we have found the problem and fixed it now. Please let me know if things have improved or if you see a problem again.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
20,983 Posts
Monday, from 4:56 - 5:01 pm EST ElectricianTalk and ContractorTalk would just hang. Didn't have time to run a trace route.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
don't worry about that. We found the problem with one of the switches. They are just trying to fix it now.

I'll let everyone know when they are done.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
20,983 Posts
They are just trying to fix it now.
Tell 'em to hurry up. :laughing:

People do that to me at least once a day.

Today's main job was a 200 - 320 OH service change. Customer says to me, "Oh, you mean we won't have power while you work?". :eek:

·
Modérateur
8,692 Posts
most of the time it ok but once a while it get hung up and i have to click on back arrow to get it reset it other wise not too bad little while ago it did timed out on me but right now i am typing seems ok

MD, i have ran in to that famous phrase " hurry up " or " get er done " but one GC whom know me he say " speed up speed up " i say " sure sure " if i speed up too much it get sloppy i told the GC why not take the little Renualt car and go about 140 KMH [ 83-85 mph ] and see how it handle.

he say not much more after that

Merci , Marc

·
Town Drunk
3,725 Posts
During a service change, I run my generator so I have light, and I try to at least plug the HO's fridge in, but for the rest, they are made aware - NO POWER! And yes, I sometimes have to explain that All the wires have to be moved to the new panel, and it's a little difficult to do that and still keep power on them.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
20,983 Posts
And yes, I sometimes have to explain that All the wires have to be moved to the new panel, and it's a little difficult to do that and still keep power on them.:rolleyes:
Last year when I was doing a service change at an older couple's property, the lady of the house came out shortly after the drop was cut and asked me if I was going to have the power off long. This was around 8am. I said, "Yes, it'll be off until about noon or so". She explained that her husband, a very frail old man, was down bailing out the sump pump hole with buckets. Aparently, they have a lot of subsurface water, and the sump pump cycles about every 2 minutes. Now you tell me! I got them some temporary power ASAP so we could run the sump pump, and so the old man wouldn't have a heart attack bailing out the sump pit with buckets.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
BTW, I've been working on this with them for 7 hours so far.... ahhh the joys of the website business. :no:

·
Premium Member
20,983 Posts
... ahhh the joys of the website business. :no:
I didn't know this was a business for you. I thought this was a relaxing therapudic hobby for you. :jester:
I appreciate your efforts, just the same.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts