Electrician Talk banner

Is it difficult to be accepted as an apprentice in the local 26 (Washington D.C.) ?

18532 Views 25 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  brian john
Does anyone here know how many new apprentices are accepted into the Local 26 (Washington D.C. area) JATC program each year? Is it hard now days to be accepted into your local? Someone has told me that last year about 200 new apprentices were accepted. Same person also told me that after about 4 months they were down to about half of that due to failing classes and drug testing, etc. etc etc. Does that number sound about right?
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
33,524 Posts
Over 50% wash-out rate sounds about right.

I think after the first year the drop out rate is much lower. Couple guys I knew did not think random drug testing met them, a few others missing school or work and yet others could not keep up with the classroom material.

Of the 200 I would bet some are there because of a family relative (it was the IBEW or McDonalds), others had no "R" time and did not have a clue about the work involved, others 18 and partying a bit to hard.

· Registered
69 Posts
I was in a class of 48. By the end of the fifth year, only 22 or 24 graduated. I started at 39 and was one of a few "old farts" in the class. I could not get over the complaints of the younger guys bitching about the drug tests and how it was BS they couldn't do drugs while training! More than once I heard of an apprentice showing up in the morning on the job site, then scaling the fence by the afternoon... Hey, its not for everyone but it seems like a lot of the youth today feel they are entitled to make 100k sitting at a computer and playing games all day :blink:

Retired
18,708 Posts
I am sure glad there was no drug testing when I came up through the apprenticeship. I might not have been successful? I never had a drug test until I moved here to SC. 20+ years ago. I was tested for each hire, then randomly tested for years at different jobs. I am not blaming SC. as everyone does drug testing today. Well, I mean most everyone.
I have witnessed several very good employees losing their jobs over random drug testing. Otherwise excellent employees that you would never guess even tried any drugs. I have witnessed good employees quit good jobs because random drug testing was instituted.
Random drug testing IMO is not for free thinking Americans. We complain about taxes, we complain about government, but I do not hear any negative remarks aimed at random drug testing.
It is an invasion of privacy and flat out wrong. Why put your good employees in a position they could loose their job as easy as your slugs.
I am all for testing individuals that may be using drugs or alcohol at work. However, I am for tolerance. Tolerance to people that use drugs, but never let the drugs interfere with work or the family. This is by far the biggest segment of drug users. The ones we know nothing about, until some company decides to invade that persons privacy. Then the fallout is families.
I have seen to many good workers get kicked to the curb for a positive random drug test. This IMO is wrong and should be stopped immediately.

· animal lover /rat bastard
13,504 Posts
I'm sorry, but I can't agree with that. any DOD, DOT, DOE, state highway, public worker, transit worker, or just about any job in or around potentially hazardous or sensitive areas should not be subject to a jackass worker who wants to have drugs in their system while at work. Wanna do drugs ? take a month off, do em for a couple weeks and dry out for a couple weeks. otherwise, there is too much risk to have you around. don't need it.

· Registered
10 Posts
Stan B. said:
Why aren't there drug tests for politicians? What about judges? Do they have something to hide?
Yes they do - which is why politicians are perceived as hypocritical liars and are constantly being busted for stuff. However, they don't do a job daily where they could kill or injure someone, themselves or do extensive property damage. Pretty much all trade work however does work with dangerous equipment 90% of the time so it makes sense for them to be drug tested. No offense but the only person who I could see as being against drug testing is someone whose upset they can't do drugs.

· Registered
33,524 Posts
Yes they do - which is why politicians are perceived as hypocritical liars and are constantly being busted for stuff. However, they don't do a job daily where they could kill or injure someone, themselves or do extensive property damage. Pretty much all trade work however does work with dangerous equipment 90% of the time so it makes sense for them to be drug tested. No offense but the only person who I could see as being against drug testing is someone whose upset they can't do drugs.

They sent quite a few men to their death in Iraq and Afghanistan.

They vote on bridge repair funding.

The list can go on and on.

· Registered
10 Posts
brian john said:
They sent quite a few men to their death in Iraq and Afghanistan.

They vote on bridge repair funding.

The list can go on and on.
True - but that isn't the act of just one man (Iraq and Afghanistan slightly excluded). Most decisions made by politicians are made by groups of politicians. It doesn't excuse the result but we do also have to remember that most of these politicians we voted for so we are at least a small remote part of it. And as for the soldiers - there are quite a few of them who freely signed up after the war started and wanted to be shipped out (I know because that was the future choice that about half my graduating class went with -.- )

· felonious smile.
15,896 Posts
Drugs lead to unreliability, irresponsibility and stealing. Who needs that in business.

Reactions: wildleg

· Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Does anyone here know how many new apprentices are accepted into the Local 26 (Washington D.C. area) JATC program each year? Is it hard now days to be accepted into your local? Someone has told me that last year about 200 new apprentices were accepted.
Ok, but what about this part of the O.P. ?:001_huh::whistling2:

· Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok, so I had my interview yesterday and I feel like it went very well. I just want to get that call telling me that I'm accepted and to report for orientation. Man, I NEED THIS! I'll keep everyone posted as I learn or hear more.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.