Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I'll bite. What's a cruiser?
Motorcycle... I'm 19 and currently saving up for all my tools. I do have income coming in until I get taken on as an apprentice but would appreciate it if Its possible to continue riding until I have some money to drop for a truck

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,624 Posts
Motorcycle... I'm 19 and currently saving up for all my tools. I do have income coming in until I get taken on as an apprentice but would appreciate it if Its possible to continue riding until I have some money to drop for a truck
Just buy and old car with cash ,,no loans,save as much cash as you can and start building up savings,when you became a journeyman and you want to open your own shop you'll have the money for a truck and the start up reserves,do everything you can to stay away from debt,make up a long term plan for yourself to become a financial winner in life,as an apprentice all you need is a car to get you to the shop,or the job site,when you get there work as hard as you can and strive to be the best , learn everything you can about the trade and the business ,,,,,,all that hard work will pay off big time in 5 to 10 years,when someone tells you "you'll never make it" Prove them wrong,,,,Good luck.:thumbsup:

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
I did in the early 70's.

At that time an apprentice just needed a half loaded tool pouch (union). We used to just leave our tools (pouch) in the shack or a lock box on site. No problem.

As an apprentice today I'm sure you wouldn't be transporting material so it should be just a matter of getting your tools and your body to work.

1975, quit riding. Fast forward 30 years, what the heck, pick up a bike (from my youth, '75 cb750 this time). On my own doing a resi job (in fill) in what looked like a nice neighbourhood I left some material on site. Rode the bike to work. Fun stuff.

·
Banned
39,722 Posts
My first ride was a '74 CB750, my current ride is an HD XLC

yeah, you can do the backpack thing with a pocket full 'o wirenuts

but for the most part i just zip out to check on jobs

~CS~

·
Licensed Journeyman
5,880 Posts
I worked with a guy that drove a FLH

I cant see any problems with it. I ride. Have for years. I am fortunate to have a take home service truck these days.

Save that cash and get a cheap truck tho. You will appreciate not having to ride in the rain after work. Least I don't like getting my feet wet on a bike.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
That works out well until you get sent to a different site. Or if you work for a small shop and have to bounce from job to job.
I like the idea. But I would invest in a cheap enclosed vehicle. Also not sure about what the climate is like there? That may ruin your plan also.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Samson Rouge said:
Wondering if anyone's done it, would save me a lot on gas, surely everything will be brought in company trucks aside from my tools
Ride to work in the winter, in Canada? Seriously?

·
NO high voltage here
2,438 Posts
I do. I ride a sportster. 04, and when it runs and is together a 72 ironhead.

I have the klein backpack, and it works great.

I also have a set of throwover bags when i need to bring more.

I bungee my lunch on the back seat.

I work about 50 miles from home, so it saves me a lot of money

·
Registered
364 Posts
It's possible if you live in an area that has good weather.

I would say that if you are working for a company in which an apprentice needs a truck, there's a problem. The contractor should be providing larger stuff like ladders, as well as hammer drills, sawzalls, etc. An apprentice should be required to have hand tools, but nothing more. Those fit on a cruiser.

·
Banned
7,230 Posts
It's almost non existent anymore, last year we had snow for like a couple days. Could probably use my moms car on those days
Save those kinds of comments for the "global warming truthers" who don't believe anything has changed.

I remember southern ontario winters from my childhood.. it was damn cold from Halloween to Easter and there was snow on the ground almost the entire winter, and the lakes froze up SOLID for ice fishing and snowmobiling.

All that's gone.. but the usual suspects on here claim that just aint true. :blink:

CLIMATE CHANGED.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Save those kinds of comments for the "global warming truthers" who don't believe anything has changed.

I remember southern ontario winters from my childhood.. it was damn cold from Halloween to Easter and there was snow on the ground almost the entire winter, and the lakes froze up SOLID for ice fishing and snowmobiling.

All that's gone.. but the usual suspects on here claim that just aint true. :blink:

CLIMATE CHANGED.
It was amazing, esp during holiday times. Now when it snows around here it's like the equivalent to those months as it all comes down in one night in a huge storm where the next day you got snow 3 feet high

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
Funny how things change. Wonder what we will look like in a thousand years and who will get the blame.

·
Super Moderator
Licensed Electrical Contractor
11,768 Posts
I did it a few times back in the 90's. With today's new bags and backpacks it'd probably be even easier.
Then again, I was on a sport bike.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts