Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon all,

The question I have is, is it too late for me to enter into the Electrician field? I am 25 years old and doing my best to clean up my life. I have done the research into the field and decided this is what I want to pursue, but before committing I wanted to hear the opinions and advice of those already in the field.

Another problem I am having is, I am not sure where to start. I live in New York City and it's too late for me to do an apprenticeship program so I am looking into trade schools, but not sure if that is good idea because all I see are terrible reviews of trade schools.

I am very confused and just looking for some direction, if anyone can please help me, I would appreciate it very much.

Thank you for reading this.

·
Registered
423 Posts
cptdunlop41 said:
Good afternoon all,

The question I have is, is it too late for me to enter into the Electrician field? I am 25 years old and doing my best to clean up my life. I have done the research into the field and decided this is what I want to pursue, but before committing I wanted to hear the opinions and advice of those already in the field.

Another problem I am having is, I am not sure where to start. I live in New York City and it's too late for me to do an apprenticeship program so I am looking into trade schools, but not sure if that is good idea because all I see are terrible reviews of trade schools.

I am very confused and just looking for some direction, if anyone can please help me, I would appreciate it very much.

Never too late

·
Registered
47 Posts
Never too late!!!

Never too late!!!

I'm a 1st year apprentice (started last October), and I just turned 50, four days ago. Go for It, I say...

Doug

·
Electrical Contractor
9,325 Posts
Good afternoon all,

Never too late to clean up your life and I'd say you're still a youngster!:thumbsup: Too bad you're not out in the rural area where you could get a job with a private electrical contractor to get some experience and make sure it's what you want to do.

·
Registered
497 Posts
It is the perfect age for you. You are starting to look at life a little differently now, and sounds like you need a good change. This is an excellent trade, with lots of options in the future. Jump in and don't look back.

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
That's insane. I hope to be out of the trade by the time I'm 50. I can't imagine just starting out at that age.
Keep the hope man. The construction trades are notoriously captive.

And, I didn't really start taking any work serious until I was pushing 30 so, 25 is young.

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
8,372 Posts
25 is a good age to start. You have enough maturity to handle the responsibility of school and on the job training, yet young enough to handle the grunt work that new apprentices do.

Starting at 50 is fine too. Maybe a bit less physical work, but you'll make up for it with the wisdom you've picked up over the years.

I've never been an apprentice, I just jumped in when I was 33. Had tons of other construction experience though.

I'm 56 now, and still enjoy the trade.

·
Registered
278 Posts
you're still a baby, go for it.

I'm 53, wearing out physically, but still mentally strong with the will of a Bull.

I've been advertising services for 3 years in unlicensed permitted areas with the technical support/help of a local Master (off the records, of course; he won't hire my azz cause he's already semi-retired, is licensed, works in licensed area, and doesn't want the baggage). He's 65, and still going like a teenager.

Anyway, the point is you've got a great chance. Apprenticeships would take me for training (they always take the money), but the odds of me getting an actual job afterwards seems to me to be nil. You, on the otherhand, should go for it NOW, imo.

Don't waste away, getting to my age, and wishing someone would have kicked you in the butt when you were 25, like I do.

Good luck.

·
Registered
420 Posts
cptdunlop41 said:
Good afternoon all,

As long as the trade school is certified by the state you are fine.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Buddy had a guy in his apprenticeship that was 46.. Guy had already retired from the army and decided a second career would be good.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Good afternoon all,

Welcome to the forum cptdunlop41.......:thumbup::thumbup:

That's insane. I hope to be out of the trade by the time I'm 50. I can't imagine just starting out at that age.
You will be 50 before you know it and at that time you will still want to strap on the belt..:thumbup:

:laughing::laughing:

·
Ambassador of Amps
9,518 Posts
this trade sucks no matter what age you are... just go for it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
you still got plenty time in front of you, I say go ahead If that is really what you want to do. remember that you will always perform better at stuff you LIKE to do.

One more thing, if you want my opinion go for the electrical and automation field, I recommend that for your age

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm going on 43, wholly sick and tired of the IT game and related stupidity and am looking to change careers. Trying to figure out what I need to do to become an electrical apprentice. Figured out that I want to go the C&M route, same path my brother took. Dad is in the electrical field too... shoulda given me a clue years ago before I reached burnout. IMO, if I'm looking at jumping in at my age, and folks here are reporting guys older than me jumped in with success, then there's no reason you shouldn't.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts