Electrician Talk banner

81 - 100 of 108 Posts

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
61,265 Posts
The thread didn’t really start out as five stars. I guess I have always been the guy to just do his job and not worry about striking up a conversation with the boss when/if he walks the job. I think he respects that.

I remember seeing the house on fire on the front page and the story being big news when it happened. I haven’t heard much about it lately. I’m two towns away. For some reason I want to say that town has had other case of partnerships going bad and making the paper. That MAGA guy has a golf course there. Another golf course there was wired for surveillance by the FBI. They got the guy that owned it for some Wall Street fraud. He’s still in prison.
You mean Brennan and Due Process Stables?

·
Registered
36th year apprentice & Floor Sweeper
1,199 Posts
You mean Brennan and Due Process Stables?
Yeah that’s the one. The guy that bought it at auction after it was seized, got his start from Brennan. Maybe something else going on their:vs_cool: He built a big house on the property. That was the biggest house I ever wired. Looked like a hotel. Plus the two flanking houses/offices and pool house. Three floors. 12,000 sq foot per floor. His neighbor complained that the house was going to block the view of the golf course. So he didn’t get the variance to go to that height. He had to build the one floor into the ground. So he built a hill down the road and planted trees across the top of the hill. Kind of like a big middle finger. Man it must be nice to have money.

Around that time there was another mansion going up. It was almost complete. It had a fire. I think they lost the whole house. It had some sort of windows that couldn’t be broken. I think that was one of the reasons it was a total loss.

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
61,265 Posts
Yeah that’s the one. The guy that bought it at auction after it was seized, got his start from Brennan. Maybe something else going on their:vs_cool: He built a big house on the property. That was the biggest house I ever wired. Looked like a hotel. Plus the two flanking houses/offices and pool house. Three floors. 12,000 sq foot per floor. His neighbor complained that the house was going to block the view of the golf course. So he didn’t get the variance to go to that height. He had to build the one floor into the ground. So he built a hill down the road and planted trees across the top of the hill. Kind of like a big middle finger. Man it must be nice to have money.

Around that time there was another mansion going up. It was almost complete. It had a fire. I think they lost the whole house. It had some sort of windows that couldn’t be broken. I think that was one of the reasons it was a total loss.

I did several jobs at Due Process and at Brennan's house in Wall and the house his wife (ex)has in Allenhurst, along with his horse farm business.

I remember something about the bulletproof windows at that other house. Makes you wonder just how paranoid you need to be to go that route?

Reactions: HertzHound

·
Registered
14,472 Posts
Paranoia at that scale is not paranoia.

The castle is built as a fortress out of guilt and projection.

The owner assumes that everyone is as criminal as they, themselves, are.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yep, and ears work well for that, at least always did for me :biggrin:

Turning around to see if the boss winks at you doesn't fall into the safety category.
If I relied only on my ears to keep me safe on the jobsite, I'd be blind and dead.

There are always welders lighting up an arc in a new location, not telling anyone or setting up a screen. Seeing that glow in your peripheral vision tells you to look away.

There are also other major dangers with not looking around... what happens if you're getting ready to put a 90 on the very end of a brand new 10' stick of 1" EMT, and don't do a shoulder check to see what's behind you? You clock someone in the face with the tail end of the pipe, knocking out teeth and drawing blood.

Props to OP for staying aware of their surroundings. I feel very sorry for anyone who gets stuck on a site with a sparky that relies on only their ears for safety!

·
Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
6,962 Posts
If I relied only on my ears to keep me safe on the jobsite, I'd be blind and dead.

There are always welders lighting up an arc in a new location, not telling anyone or setting up a screen. Seeing that glow in your peripheral vision tells you to look away.

There are also other major dangers with not looking around... what happens if you're getting ready to put a 90 on the very end of a brand new 10' stick of 1" EMT, and don't do a shoulder check to see what's behind you? You clock someone in the face with the tail end of the pipe, knocking out teeth and drawing blood.

Props to OP for staying aware of their surroundings. I feel very sorry for anyone who gets stuck on a site with a sparky that relies on only their ears for safety!
This thread was about the boss not winking at him. Or maybe giving him a hug everytime he saw him :biggrin:

Oh, and I know how to work on a job site :wink:

·
Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
6,962 Posts
Pretty sure he didn’t say “only ears, and keep my eyes screwed shut.”
Thanks TJ ... you're the first guy I like from New Hampshire :biggrin:

Reactions: tjb

·
Registered
315 Posts
This same guy told me he wants to keep me as a long term employee today.
I hope you take that comment with a grain of salt. No employer can be held to the promise of long term employment. It's a sign that he likes you, but things change, both business and personal. Don't make any long term commitments based on what he says. If you always assume each day at work is your last (but don't stress about it), you will be better prepared financially and emotionally.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It's commonplace as muck in apprenticeships... My nephew wanted to follow after myself n his old man, we couldn't take him on due to travelling they said he needs to report to an academy. Ended up getting him in at a electricians who we know since the first role he took on ended up with him being INSANELY taken advantage of. They bullied him around too, like a bunch of children they gave the final straw by making him electrocute himself or else he'd have to take "the forfeit"...

Needless to say, the original employers have been reported, though no outcome as of yet. He's loving it though at my mates place. Come the end of it he'll be out and about with me and his dad too...

It's not that you will always face it, but as an apprentice it can be really bad. He might be a bit of a tit, but at least hes not bullying you...

Hope things get better for you and you get the respect you deserve..

·
Small Potatoes
5,460 Posts
It's commonplace as muck in apprenticeships... My nephew wanted to follow after myself n his old man, we couldn't take him on due to travelling they said he needs to report to an academy. Ended up getting him in at a electricians who we know since the first role he took on ended up with him being INSANELY taken advantage of. They bullied him around too, like a bunch of children they gave the final straw by making him electrocute himself or else he'd have to take "the forfeit"...

Needless to say, the original employers have been reported, though no outcome as of yet. He's loving it though at my mates place. Come the end of it he'll be out and about with me and his dad too...

It's not that you will always face it, but as an apprentice it can be really bad. He might be a bit of a tit, but at least hes not bullying you...

Hope things get better for you and you get the respect you deserve..
What does "he might be a bit of tit" mean? Respect is earned.

81 - 100 of 108 Posts