Electrician Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
question 1)
practicing this on my practice board at home, just wanted a heads up if this is the correct wiring. any help or advice would be great cheers!

Basically a 2 gang switch which should operate 2 outdoor lights together and the other switch should turn on all 4 spotlights together

i have attached my circuit diagram below
:)

(the earths have been ignored just to make the diagram look a bit neater)

question 2) would this be rewirable to control both switches without having a twin and cpc wire between outdoor 1 and spotlight junction
Rectangle Font Line Parallel Slope

·
Registered
industrial E,I&C
4,439 Posts
If I'm understanding the diagram right, outdoor one is the only one getting switched, the rest will just be on all the time.

been years but if i remember correctly its just terminal blocks normally 2-3-3 none are connected to a light as that is something you have to add. Also means its a SOB when someone removes one and you have to ID the switch leg that's normally the same color as the neutral.

Addition : normally the light is connected to the outside screws and not doubled up with any other wire.

·
Registered
Water treatment plant maintenance
1,211 Posts
So I take it these loop terminals etc in a light are a common UK thing? Always interests me how electrical developed in different countries. Essentially what he is trying to do is a power into fixture type circuit. My whole house is wired that way instead of power into the switch. Is power into the fixture common in the UK?

·
Registered
industrial E,I&C
4,439 Posts
Do they breaker the neutral over there as well ? Or it that just how he drew it.

No they don't break the neutral and the breaker would have 2 screws so you start at the breaker and end at the breaker to create a loop. Then again this could be a disconnect or something as only the live is fused. (been to long since im seen UK style drawings)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
View attachment 167619

this is just a hint as its drawn as a spur not a ring main. Orange and blue indicate feed to light.
Yes the feed to the lights occurs a the end opposite ends as they are run practice I just haven’t draw that bit. Right so once these alteration has been done of spotlight live going to the live and the rest it’ll help to operate the switch for outside porch ( both together) and the spotlights separately ?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts