Electrician Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Pool Shark
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lot's of my customers want their hair dryer in the vanity drawer. I've heard it's not legal here where I'm at, but is there a specific code article anyone knows of?

·
Who you gonna call?
1,177 Posts
Don't see how that would be wrong. In fact if I could get off my lazy bum on the weekends my wife would love if I installed that in her vanity drawer.

·
Electrical Contractor
9,325 Posts
Don't see how that would be wrong. In fact if I could get off my lazy bum on the weekends my wife would love if I installed that in her vanity drawer.
How do you connect it? Flexible cord? I have a customer that wants the same thing but, as far as I know, no one makes a box/recept specifically for that purpose.

·
Who you gonna call?
1,177 Posts
wendon said:
How do you connect it? Flexible cord? I have a customer that wants the same thing but, as far as I know, no one makes a box/recept specifically for that purpose.
Never done one myself personally. I always envisioned a cut in box with a single gang weatherproof cover with an so cord connector out the center of it. (Assuming it would be under the sink.) Then SO cord to a box in or mounted to drawer. Might be overkill but that's what's pictured in my mind.

·
Registered
9,118 Posts
Why does the receptacle need to be IN the drawer? If it's mounted to the cabinet behind the drawer it's golden.

·
Registered
742 Posts
480sparky said:
So they can leave the hair dryer plugged in all the time, but still out-of-sight when not in use.
People are just too darned spoiled or lazy. I was always taught and still practice today, if it is not in use, unplug it. I can envision cords being pinched in drawer sliders and bad things happening.

·
Electron Pathway Engineer
3,105 Posts
You guys that do these installs ever do anything to kill the receptacle when the drawer is closed?

I wonder about someone leaving a plugged-in curling iron inside the drawer or something.
If it was in Canada:

26-710 (h) a receptacle shall not be placed in a cupboard, cabinet, or similar enclosure, except where the receptacle is

(i) an integral part of a factory-built enclosure;

(ii) provided for use with a specific type of appliance that is suitable for installation within the enclosure;

(iii) intended only for a microwave oven;

(iv) intended only for a cord-connected range hood; or

(v) intended only for a cord-connected combination microwave oven/range hood fan;

(i) except for cord-connected dishwashers, in-line water heaters, garbage disposal units, and other similar appliances, receptacles installed in cupboards, cabinets, or similar enclosures in accordance with Item (h)(ii) shall be de-energized unless the enclosure door is in the fully opened position

1 - 15 of 15 Posts