Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm quoting a residential main service upgrade. The homeowner has a vast array of low voltage lighting and would like the switches replaced. The home was built in the late 60s and was the original model home, formerly owned by one of the general contractors who built houses on the entire block. For how dated the home is, it is very clean and the new homeowner doesn't want to eliminate the lv system. Is there a product line of replacement switches you guys use? I'm going to stop by the SH tomorrow but thought I'd ask here, too.

Ordinarily, I gut and rewire these circuits, so this will be interesting. If I win the bid I'll be sure to take pics of the space age bathroom and orange barstools!

Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
Kyle switch plates has some. Never ordered from them, so no idea what their product or pricing is like.

Registered
There鈥檚 something about walking into an older home from the 1950鈥檚-60鈥檚, that is in pristine condition and hasn鈥檛 been remodeled. Is almost like a time travel back to a simpler time. And it reminds me about Grandma & Grandpa鈥檚 house.

Registered
Power distribution and controls
Ge still makes them and the relays for when they go bad.

As stated Kyle is a great resource.
Hubble, Wattstopper, Legrand and Leviton all make LV switches. Some are pretty racy looking. NONE are inexpensive.
The system voltage is 24vac so it is sometimes easier to switch the common rather a than
the power wire. I got some LV switches to preform like the dickens at over 100 yards of wire length.

I was running 5 switches to a common. It is in the GE guide. Multiple conductor cable saves a lot of nonsense.
Your in for a treat the system is interesting to work with. How ever the made for you relay panels are right out of the stone age.
We had some GE panels with a brain in each one which meant a clock in each one. GE's concept to synro the clocks was thousands of dollars. It was a big deal for the outside lights to some people/users.
So I bought a PLC to run the outputs, pulled a bit of wire and the lights were perfect for the users.

Registered
Something to keep in mind if you're ever considering swapping LV switches to line voltage, there probably won't be boxes and the wires run all manner of directions.
I was sent to a job where the boss thought we could just replace the switches and use the old LV wire to pull in loomex. Ummm... no.
He was an idiot though, and that shop shut down shortly after I left. I was only there for an interim position thankfully

Registered
As mentioned by several people there are plenty of replacement parts including relays. The house I did also had a central "command" panel in the master bedroom. It is actually a bit like the current home automation systems without an app.

One thing I did that made the homeowners VERY happy was to ensure that ALL switches were mounted so that pressing the "up" part of the switch turned things on and the "down" turned them off. The house was full of inconsistent switches which was a bit of madness.

Much cheaper to fix this stuff than replace it and it is sort of Jetson's cool.

Good luck.

Registered
The only home automation stuff I鈥檝e seen has been in newer homes. And very few.

Ive only heard about the older LV wiring from the 60鈥檚 on here.

Registered
Electrical Contractor
As mentioned by several people there are plenty of replacement parts including relays. The house I did also had a central "command" panel in the master bedroom. It is actually a bit like the current home automation systems without an app.

One thing I did that made the homeowners VERY happy was to ensure that ALL switches were mounted so that pressing the "up" part of the switch turned things on and the "down" turned them off. The house was full of inconsistent switches which was a bit of madness.

Much cheaper to fix this stuff than replace it and it is sort of Jetson's cool.

Good luck.
I just did one 2 weeks ago. New owners moved the wall in the master bedroom about 2 ft. Thankfully they were redoing the flooring as well, so I could cut out the subfloor to reroute the bottom fed wiring. They had a 'master' switch that when you pressed it on or off, it would sequentially turn on/off around 16 lights throughout the house, about 1 light a second. They also had one of those 'control panel' switches that is basically 2 12 position rotary switches put together. One dial for off, one dial for on, turn it to a number(legend tells you what light it is) and click it. Fed with a 40ish conductor cable... all soldered joints.

Registered
Electrical Contractor
Thank you for this! Their site is very informative and has direct replacements for the customer's GE rocker style switches.
Be careful with this!!
Depending on what style you have currently, they may not be a direct match. At some point they changed their design from a rocker to a 2 pushbutton style. The mounting plates also got changed, and if you change switches you will probably have to change mounting plates as well.

Just wanted to give you a heads up!

Registered
Electrician
Be careful with this!!
Depending on what style you have currently, they may not be a direct match. At some point they changed their design from a rocker to a 2 pushbutton style. The mounting plates also got changed, and if you change switches you will probably have to change mounting plates as well.

Just wanted to give you a heads up!
I had a problem with the mounting plates, I ended up using a Dremel with a grinding wheel to enlarge the old mounts.

Another problem I have with LV switches is explaining to the customer why they can't have dimmers.

I like ceiling fans & EMT
Former commercial, occasional (small) residential
There鈥檚 something about walking into an older home from the 1950鈥檚-60鈥檚, that is in pristine condition and hasn鈥檛 been remodeled. Is almost like a time travel back to a simpler time. And it reminds me about Grandma & Grandpa鈥檚 house.
This.

I love low voltage systems when they work.

Registered
Electrician
Forget the customer! Explain to me why LV switching can鈥檛 have dimmers!
The systems I鈥檝e come across just send a momentary 24v to a relay that鈥檚 either open or closed, the 120v either passes through the relay or it doesn鈥檛.

Have you seen other systems that can dim also?

Registered
The systems I鈥檝e come across just send a momentary 24v to a relay that鈥檚 either open or closed, the 120v either passes through the relay or it doesn鈥檛.

Have you seen other systems that can dim also?
I know nothing about this stuff.

Registered
As far as I am concerned, low voltage is the way to go. I was never interested in dimming as long as the lighting for each room was designed for the use of the room. I just wanted maximum controllability. I have a GE 90-30 PLC and a panel of 48 relays. All switches are 24vac home run to the PLC. The switches are cheap 5/8" doorbell buttons mounted in standard wooden toggle switch plates (3 or 6 per single or double plate). (They look very nice & have the feel of the 40's vintage toggle push button switches, which is what I was going for.) Each button is programmed "push-on, push-off". In all of the main rooms, the last button turns off ALL of the lights in the house. In my mind, that one function justified the whole system.
I went industrial, because I had no confidence that any of the residential systems would stay in business. 25 years later, it is still working perfectly. Components are still readily available remanufactured or even new (although I have only ever had one output card fail.).

Registered
Electrician
If I came across a PLC lighting system in a house I wouldn鈥檛 know where to begin. I have had zero experience with PLC鈥檚. Don鈥檛 you need to connect a laptop to program it all?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts