Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is running Romex this neatly required by inspectors these days? Or is it commonly done?

I would guess that most panels would have the Romex running straight out the top or the bottom of the panel. Running it as shown in the attached picture sure takes up a lot of wall space.

Attachments

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,331 Posts
I’ve only seen it come in through the sides from our northern neighbors. All our panels are mounted with studs on both sides out west, different construction out here.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MotoGP: Wow, what project! I have never seen a residential project like this. What are the tall slender panels in the second picture?
The layout of this room seems very well planned. Did you design this or an engineering & design firm. Again, great job.

Just wondering was running conduit instead of Romex ever considered?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I love that there is just a few j-boxes for ceiling lights, they had to cut the budget somewhere.

·
Registered
26 Posts
MotoGP: Wow, what project! I have never seen a residential project like this. What are the tall slender panels in the second picture?
The layout of this room seems very well planned. Did you design this or an engineering & design firm. Again, great job.

Those are Lutron Homeworks lighting control panels. My guess is there must be over 300 lighting zones. If you had 3 zones per room that would be 100 rooms. Any guess as to how many square feet that house is? I'd say 50,000.

·
Registered
Electrician
1,270 Posts

Yes those are Luton panels. The house is another contractors project, I went in to check it out and was impressed. I am doing the pool mechanical Room which has a 400 amp panel(s) for the equipment. I would guess the house is somewhere between 40,000 to 50,000 sqft based off of other projects I've had. They also have a guest house and another building with a full size indoor hockey rink. Here's a picture of where they are going to mount the transformers for the 0-10v dimming.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Those are Lutron Homeworks lighting control panels. My guess is there must be over 300 lighting zones. If you had 3 zones per room that would be 100 rooms. Any guess as to how many square feet that house is? I'd say 50,000.
That explains a lot. I wondered how just 400 amps could've feed all that.

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,331 Posts
Probably one of those rich people that lectures the rest of Cali on how to be green and the need to cut down on our carbon footprint...

Meanwhile using the resources and energy that could build thousands of homes.

Not knocking it, bet it is a nice money maker!

·
Registered
Electrician
1,270 Posts
That explains a lot. I wondered how just 400 amps could've feed all that.
The pool equipment alone is 400 amps. The service is 4,000 amps. I did not get a picture of the switchgear above.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I wonder what size service they will be installing for the land scape lighting? Great Photos .. Very inspiring to see clean work.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Probably one of those rich people that lectures the rest of Cali on how to be green and the need to cut down on our carbon footprint...

Meanwhile using the resources and energy that could build thousands of homes.

Not knocking it, bet it is a nice money maker!
Oh no worries they pay an offset fee to lower their carbon foot print.
It all goes to the homeless and respirators.

·
Administrator
EC
22,428 Posts
This was done years ago but trust me this is not required. BTW, the first picture. I would fail the nm that is run down low without protection

Reactions: Easy and splatz

·
Premium Member
18,730 Posts
That looks like a Data guy or someone that bends pipe was picked up by a residential contractor.
For me, it looks like that contractor is going to lose money on that job.
All I can think of is how much smoke all of that exposed Romex would produce.

·
Hackenschmidt
10,893 Posts
I bet the carpenters were not as impressed. Or is that framing that was only installed to support cable?

It looks kind of cool in an OCD way but I can't help but think NM artistry wasn't the best way to go. Wouldn't some big wireways / troughs might have saved money? And they definitely would be much better for maintenance. A property this size, there's going to be some maintenance, and I think it's going to be just about impossible to keep it looking this pretty.

I wonder what the floor plan is like, seems like the architects REALLY wanted all the panels centralized.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Is running Romex this neatly required by inspectors these days? Or is it commonly done?

I would guess that most panels would have the Romex running straight out the top or the bottom of the panel. Running it as shown in the attached picture sure takes up a lot of wall space.
It looks good. I don’t think I’ve seen it in Indiana but I have in Nashville, TN. There’s usually too much equipment to take up that much real estate :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Master Electrician - Ontario
3,348 Posts
In Canada, we have to enter the side or the bottom if the panel has a main breaker, so we are limited. One of the main reasons you see out panels often mounted sideways or sometime upside down".

It does take up a lot of real estate, but generally our panels are in a basement so we don't have to worry about truing to fit everything in a cavity and while we have a similar rule about protecting NMD90 below a certain height, it is accepted that the panel area is "protected by location" and is not subject to mechanical damage.

Cheers
John

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This was done years ago but trust me this is not required. BTW, the first picture. I would fail the nm that is run down low without protection

I’ve never seen this kind of Romex artwork in person but I’m not complaining about it. How else could it have been installed without just bundling it all together with several big ty-raps (and that wouldn’t pass inspection)?

·
Registered
Electrician
1,270 Posts
I bet the carpenters were not as impressed. Or is that framing that was only installed to support cable?

View attachment 153111
I noticed that too. I believe most of the framing is not for building support. Probably built as support for the wires and for drywall. This electrical room ceiling is almost half the height of the other rooms in the lower level. The bar and movie theater in this lower level have around 20'+ ceilings.

Reactions: splatz
1 - 20 of 26 Posts