Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Estwing magic
25,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Commercial job, fixtures supplied. The wiring compartment is impossibly small. How are these things CSA approved? I screwed an octagon box on top of the wiring compartment.

I know, I should mount a box somewhere and octopus from there but that will take time I don’t have. Even at that, fitting three wire nuts into the factory compartment with a single cable is a challenge.

·
Registered
Journeyman Electrician
28 Posts
You really ought to put snap-in bushings in there. At the very least, I would go back through and put in plastic NM connectors (you won't have to take apart the joints). You know eventually one of them is gonna rub enough and pop, and it'll come back to you and stain your reputation.

More importantly, the size of your coffee makes me mad. There is no way you're able to drink all of that before it gets cold. You probably don't even finish it - I bet you're notorious for leaving half-full cups of coffee around the jobsite, just waiting to spill all over a set of prints or inside a gangbox.

·
Estwing magic
25,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You really ought to put snap-in bushings in there. At the very least, I would go back through and put in plastic NM connectors (you won't have to take apart the joints). You know eventually one of them is gonna rub enough and pop, and it'll come back to you and stain your reputation.

More importantly, the size of your coffee makes me mad. There is no way you're able to drink all of that before it gets cold. You probably don't even finish it - I bet you're notorious for leaving half-full cups of coffee around the jobsite, just waiting to spill all over a set of prints or inside a gangbox.
Actually, I drink coffee cold; doesn’t bother me.

It’s a restaurant, maybe I should fire up the microwave. 😊

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
2,377 Posts

·
Estwing magic
25,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ooooh, I know this pain. I was just putting these same fixtures in yesterday. Any savings they were hoping for using cheaper fixtures went out the window in labour.
If you plan for it, it’s okay. You can cram a single cable in there using the crappy orange wire nuts that come with the fixture. If you want to daisy chain from fixture to fixture, forget it. I have no idea why there are two KO’s.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
It looks like your solution is going to work well, 1110 might look nicer but who's going to see it anyways. Time to start caring plastic bushings.

Tim.

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
2,377 Posts
But, mom, I tried.
It would look less hacky if you oriented the JB so it's comletely over the fixture and square with it.

Cone on, man, the whole world is watching. They're going to think all Canadian electricians are hacks. You're making us look bad. :rolleyes:

:p

Reactions: splatz

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
He hasn't had his Tim's cereal yet.

Tim

·
Estwing magic
25,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It would look less hacky if you oriented the JB so it's comletely over the fixture and square with it.

Cone on, man, the whole world is watching. They're going to think all Canadian electricians are hacks. You're making us look bad. :rolleyes:

Somebody’s gotta do it. 🤣

·
Registered
Journeyman Electrician
28 Posts
I drink coffee cold; doesn’t bother me.

It’s a restaurant, maybe I should fire up the microwave. 😊
If you ask nice, they might leave the old coffee in the pots overnight for you ☕. Save yourself the trip to Tim's in the morning.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts

It goes well with the sideways panels.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
It's probably not code compliant but honestly if you were to put in a chase nipple or bushing then the box might not sit flush against the fixture and it would cut into your money you need for breakfast.
The only complaint I would have is that you used one Philips head one locked recessed screw to secure the box. :)
The up side is the Maple leaf that's embossed in the coffee cup lid. Very classy...

·
Estwing magic
25,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
One screw is the one used to fasten the factory lid down. The other one is a Tek screw. Nothing but the best for this operation. 🤣

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Lunch is over, back to work.

Tim

Reactions: 99cents
1 - 20 of 52 Posts