Electrician Talk banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
I approve! (y) Both the octagon box and the picture of your breakfast.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Commercial job? IME, each fixture gets its own #14 AC90 whip. On the off-chance you need to daisy-chain, use a duplex connector - it saves space.

·
Registered
309 Posts
you have to do what ever works.
we had to do something similar with Day Brite LED 2x2 and 2 x4 fixtures. impossible for two mc. We tried the big JB with one cable to each but that took more time and wire nuts can accommodate 6 wires .

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
2,367 Posts
I use 'em all the time. Just not for any work that I don't want to be called a hack for.

Reactions: five.five-six

·
Registered
Retired EC and Fuel distribution contractor
1,311 Posts
What kind of hole are the fixture wires exiting the fixture through? Is it a 7/8" hole or something smaller? Was it the intended entrance for our wiring?

·
Premium Member
Working With the Tools
1,086 Posts
Purists like Joe don’t like them but they’re stamped CSA. That means they’re good when you hack a box onto a light fixture, right?

Right?? View attachment 155780
So that is a 4040... this proves that you can learn something every day regardless how old or experienced you are. I wonder if these are available in the states? I tend to use 1/2" close nipples, but your fixture box may have been too small to do that. We installed a bunch of TPI 2x2 LED flat panels last year... I couldn't believe how small the fixture J boxes were. We did the same thing you did, but we used handy boxes.

·
Estwing magic
25,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
So that is a 4040... this proves that you can learn something every day regardless how old or experienced you are. I wonder if these are available in the states? I tend to use 1/2" close nipples, but your fixture box may have been too small to do that. We installed a bunch of TPI 2x2 LED flat panels last year... I couldn't believe how small the fixture J boxes were. We did the same thing you did, but we used handy boxes.
I don’t know how fixture manufacturers get away with such small wiring compartments. As far as I’m concerned, they should have to comply with the same box fill requirements we do. To make matters worse, most jobs are 12 AWG minimum.

·
Registered
188 Posts
It's probably not code compliant but honestly if you were to put in a chase nipple or bushing then the box might not sit flush against the fixture and it would cut into your money you need for breakfast.
The only complaint I would have is that you used one Philips head one locked recessed screw to secure the box. :)
The up side is the Maple leaf that's embossed in the coffee cup lid. Very classy...
The lids are pretty, but they suck donkey b*lls. I absolutely hate them. McDonald's cups, lids and coffee all waaaay better.

·
Light Bender
plumber
6,413 Posts
I don’t know how fixture manufacturers get away with such small wiring compartments. As far as I’m concerned, they should have to comply with the same box fill requirements we do. To make matters worse, most jobs are 12 AWG minimum.
They do comply with box fill requirements and usually have the max volume stamped on them no?

21 - 40 of 52 Posts