Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
Retired EC and Fuel distribution contractor
4,028 Posts
I've always thought "net metering" was not fair to the power company.

W/out subsidies, solar power for your home is not cheap.

I think solar is a great partner, but solar alone does not cut it.

If an efficient long lasting battery storage system ever comes to fruition, then I can see home solar could take off, cut yourself off from the grid completely.

I don't see how the government can continue the subsides for solar, so I think we are going through a paradigm change on how we view utility invoicing.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,669 Posts
It's the same here. The minimum every month I have to pay is 17 dollars.

·
Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
3,366 Posts
What, these people who have solar want to freeload off the system? If everybody went solar, who would pay for the upkeep of the grid and power plants? If they don't want to pay the minimum fee then they should be cut from the grid. When their solar is not generating enough electricity and they take from the grid, then charge a premium rate.

·
Senile Member
35,669 Posts
That's cheap i think ours is $57 (florida)

45 base charge
tier tracker (not sure what the min is)
florida gross receipts tax (2.56%)
county tax (1%)
state tax (6%)
Well, trust me the systems here get you in a bunch of other ways.....

·
Registered
industrial E,I&C
4,581 Posts
What, these people who have solar want to freeload off the system? If everybody went solar, who would pay for the upkeep of the grid and power plants? If they don't want to pay the minimum fee then they should be cut from the grid. When their solar is not generating enough electricity and they take from the grid, then charge a premium rate.
Florida's largest load is ac which means our peek hours are during daylight hours. Power company see's this as easy money as they can install a solar field payed for by grants and there customer base then turn around and sell that power back to the customer.

Land is cheap, grants are good which is why we have 5 local solar farms and another 3 in construction with in 30 miles of where i live. They simply need to stop people installing there own solar as its cutting into there profits.

·
Senile Member
35,669 Posts
I left Florida so long ago there was no need for a fishing license in salt water

·
Registered
Master Electrician
595 Posts
I don't see the issue. People have become so dependent on the grid that they completely take it for granted. They want to be "off grid" in the middle of a city. These are the same poeple who don't want to pay taxes for schools or homeless shelters because it isn't their problem. These people will demand to be disconnected from the grid to save $30/month, then cry foul to the media when they have to pay a re-connection fee. In Alberta it's mandatory to have an active gas line for heating, too. Customers are always asking about electric furnaces because they are convinced electricity is better for the environment. :rolleyes:

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
9,665 Posts
Near as I can tell, the only fair way for a PUCO to bill would to have a fixed cost based on the KVA of your service which would include admin costs, system upgrades and maintenance costs, etc.

Then both generating and usage cost would be the same. Anyone with solar would pay very little, maybe even be paid but they'd pay the same system case as everyone else. No more idiotic 'net metering' or any other crap like that.

There would be only one meter, if it went forward, you pay the cost of the energy you consume. If it goes backward, you get paid for the cost of energy you generate.

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
There would be only one meter, if it went forward, you pay the cost of the energy you consume. If it goes backward, you get paid for the cost of energy you generate.
I thought that is what net metering was.

Reactions: micromind

·
Registered
20,135 Posts
I’m all for any renewal that can supplement oil and gas, there will come a time where we will have to pay the price for not embracing nukes back in the 70s. I do blame the O&G lobby for that. It was a very bad decision.
We cannot physically meet the upcoming 240 million bbl per DAY that we will soon need. Household solar is just a small peaker plant for the POCO, it’s fine, they can charge what they need to provide. Personally, I don’t believe rooftop solar is there yet but, will soon be.

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
It could be in some places, around here you need 2 meters no matter what.
Now that makes much more sense to me because when you buy energy from the PoCo, you should pay for delivery also and when you sell power into the grid, the PoCo still has to distribute it, so you should not get credit for distribution when you don't have any of the costs involved in distribution.

Reactions: micromind

·
Registered
36th year apprentice & Floor Sweeper
2,106 Posts
With JCP&L, I’m charged $3.25 a month for “consumption charges”. I thought it was more for administration fees than grid fees. They take the $3.25 off of the surplus/credit, so most months I still don’t pay anything out of pocket.

On a side note, they only allow you to install a grid tie system large enough to be net zero. This is based on your consumption. I’m not sure what they do when your consumption drops. I installed mine ten years ago when I was married. She was one third of the household using two thirds of the utilities and ten times the toilet paper (I have septic, so it matters). I only had a small surplus, if that, spring and fall. Now with just me and my daughter, I get a small bill July and August. I might not even have a bill this year at all. I wonder if they have ever made a customer reduce their system size? It probably won’t matter once we’re forced into buying EVs. I don’t have enough roof or land to cover a system for that.

Font Material property Screenshot Parallel Number

·
Registered
36th year apprentice & Floor Sweeper
2,106 Posts
It could be in some places, around here you need 2 meters no matter what.
Around here it’s one digital meter. Supposedly the spinning meters aren’t accurate running in reverse. The digital meters only tally up, whether it’s power in or power out. Are yours digital meters?

I do have a second meter, but it’s in my basement next to the inverter. It’s for SREC credits. For ten years you get one credit for every 1,000 KWH produced. They either don’t trust the meter built into the inverter, or they don’t want to deal with different numbers if you change out your inverter? The utility doesn’t own the meter. It’s a revenue grade spinning meter. I read the number and put it into the PJM-EIS Gats system. The credits are sold at market value.

When I first installed the system, one credit was selling for just over $600. I get six credits a year. A few months later the new Governor revamped the system. The market dropped to around $60 a credit. It has been running around $220 for a few years now. I think my credit days are done this September. I sell mine on the Flett exchange.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts